Where to start? Found the answer!

That's too bad. They seem like a good bullet but if it doesn't work in your rifle it doesn't work. I will post if I ahve any better luck but I too feel as though i'll be hunting with the 300 smk's.

Ok so I went out today. Figuered i'd give the H4831sc a try. I used the data from Sierra for the 250gn bullets as a guide. Started at 81.0gn and went up to 85.0gn. I tested at 100yd which is probably not the best I know but it was a bit chilly today and I was feeling too lazy to walk to 200yd :p

I loaded these up touching the lands to get a baseline. If I decide to do any more then I will probably do the 85.0gn at .010, .020, .030, .040 and .050 off the lands.

If anyone can explain what could be happening to give me the spread in the FPS of the loads. They are not quite making sense to me. All loads were weighed to the .00/gn.

Attachments

• Tgt1.jpg
    Tgt1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Tgt2.jpg
    Tgt2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Tgt3.jpg
    Tgt3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 111
Your 84.0 and 85.0 groups look really close making me thing that there's some repeatability. With these. I have 25 left and pleanty of H4831SC. I'll give it a try.

Just as a reminder I loaded these touching the lands. I dont have many bullets or powder left, I may have enough for 10 or so. I will wait untill you post your results then I will load some more at maybe 85.0 and play with the distance off the lands. Hopefully with the rest of the bullets we have we can work together to find something close anyway.

Good luck!

It looks like you have something almost there, in most of your groups you have one shot that takes it out with two that are nice. I've gotten down to a point like this and I've had changing primers bring that outside shot right in with the other two. Have you tried some Fed 215's, some times that is all it takes to get the ignition a little tighter and bring it together.

It looks like you have something almost there, in most of your groups you have one shot that takes it out with two that are nice. I've gotten down to a point like this and I've had changing primers bring that outside shot right in with the other two. Have you tried some Fed 215's, some times that is all it takes to get the ignition a little tighter and bring it together.

I'm heading off the the city here soon so I'll see if I can get some 215's and give that a shot with that load, see if it makes any difference.

Anything to post yet Jlamb?

lightbulbBefore you give up on the Barnes you might want to change your cleaning pattern to more or less and see if that makes it close in. I only shoot a std 338WM but I worked up one load with barnes MRX 225gr at 3,000fps and I was cleaning the tube after every shot. Never got it to do what I was hoping for consistantly. Then,Got some Horney 185gr GMX Superformance ammo and a new scope and when alighning the scope shot 15 rounds W-O Cleaning and it started locking in. I'm up to 30 rounds and have not cleaned that ole girl since Nov 2010. The Barnes will fowl quicker than the GMX since it is softer copper. I don't know which caused my better performance, and it may be more than one:

Superformance Ammo
H-GMX bullet
Horney case
Horney "?X" primer
Horney Superformance Powder
Dirty barrel
ZEISS Victory Diavari scope
or 4 of the above....................

Just a thought!

Good Luck

I don't have many barnes down the tube yet, still working on emptying the box of 50 I bought. From what I have read, the newer TTSK's (which are the same as the LRX) don't fowl as bad as the old TSX's. I have cleaned my rifle after the first outing with the LRX and didn't notice over fouling with copper. I use KG products to clean as well.

Someone on the forums said that they had tried the TTSK's before and they like'd a long jump. Now It could be the powder I used but when I loaded up the last batch I posted here I used H4831SC with the bullets touching the lands, and without going back and looking I ended up with about a 1.4-1.7 moa group. When I loaded up the first batch with H1000 the group was much larger, about 2-3 moa, but the bullets were also loaded at .030 off the lands. I think I only have about maybe 15 bullets left so I will try a known load and just change the OAL to see what it likes then go from there.

Question: Lets say I find with one powder the bullets like a .010 jump. If I change powders, will the bullets still perfer a .010 jump or will that have to be tested as well again?

Question: Lets say I find with one powder the bullets like a .010 jump. If I change powders, will the bullets still perfer a .010 jump or will that have to be tested as well again?

Think your girl will have to answer that one.....just to be right on.

I don't think you are understanding the "JUMP" concept with Barnes bullets. .010" jump is not enough. Barnes recommends .040-.080" jump. I don't have a single TTSX bullets that is closer than .100" and they are all sub moa and mostly sub .50."

Not that I don't believe you or anything, but could you point out where Barnes recomends a .040-.080 jump? I have 15 bullets left and when I load them up I could load them from .020-.100 in .020 increments.

Thanks for that! I never came accross that on their site. I've tried .030 already. Maybe i'll try .050-.100.

...dit it get any better at.030? Please post up so we can all learn from all the changes that you do. It will be after new years before I will be shooting reloads again -the range is 1.5hrs away, but I would like to learn how it works out for you.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.