Where does .308 Winchester excel?

I recently got my first 308 barrel. I got it because I wanted something that would push 30 cal bullets a little faster than my 18" 7.62x40 (almost the same as 300 HAM'R) but do it out of a 16" barrel. It was really the only logical next step staying 30 cal and short action....simple bolt and barrel change on my savage. It excelled in that role for me and zero load development, everything i've tried has shot great. I've used it to put 175 smk's and 168 amax's in hog heads all summer.

I love my 308's. It was really the first rifle/caliber I began shooting and just built a custom last year. Granted my abilities and local ranges limit my shooting to 400 yards so I don't plan on taking game past that. I do have a 300wm for larger animals but deer and pigs don't know the difference within 400 yards. I also have a light weight 270 that I love too. Guess I'm old school on the cartridges that I own.

I really considered a 28 Nosler or a PRC the last few years but since I'm not going to be shooting much past 400 yards I don't think I need either.

The 308 excells everywhere.

Here are the factory specs showing the comparison with the new wonder child. If your a handloader, the 308 really shines with CFE-223. I have consistently achievedsub moa loads @ ~2810 fps in 3 different 308 wins with 22 inch bbls.
I would take a 308 win over 6.5 creed for hunting every day.

aKyP7gB.jpg
I'll take that energy difference, if thats my only two choices!

It's like someone told me one time.
Some people are saying good things about you. Some people are saying bad things about you but man, everyone is still talking about you.
Kind of like a lot of things, if there's something that everyone keeps comparing other things to, it's probably still really good and maybe it's the best.
Food for thought

Inside of 300-400yds, you'd be hard pressed to find something that's meaningfully better without stepping up to an '06 or magnum case size.

My go-to ranch gun is a suppressed 16" LaRue AR10 in 308 with a 1-8x LPVO running 165gr ballistic tips. It just flat out gets stuff done.

Recently I've thought about buying a Tikka CTR in .308 as I no longer have a rifle in that caliber after selling my model 10 and already have a 6.5 Creed in a bravo. But it's got me thinking, with all the cartridges that are out now, does it really make sense to buy one new? The ballistics are worse than It's smaller caliber derivatives, it has more recoil, and any animal I would feel comfortable shooting with .308 I'd also shoot with a 6/6.5/7mm and .223 given a good projectile in it's effective range. The biggest points in it's favor that I can think of are
1. Ammo cost relative to the 6/6.5/7mms although those seem to be coming down a bit
2. Ammo ubiquity compared to 6/6.5/7mms
3. Potentially a good trainer as it drifts more in the wind, but I feel like the same thing could be done with .223
What am I missing? The point of this thread isn't to try and **** on .308, I just can't think of a reason I should get one even though I'm likely going to eventually.

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of it? It is great at killing pretty much anything - ask any sniper over 40, or anyone that has ever hunted with one. (sorry, but the needmore can't say that and never will) As previously said the 308's abilities are due to versatility, proven history and being a 30 cal, and unlike the 6mms and the 6.5s, it is good at everything just like the 30-06.
Agree, if the military had the AR10 in the Nam era, I wouldn't;t have needed my Thompson or Ithica 12 gauge. The M16 was ineffective at close range INMO, having failed to drop a target at under 15 meters. As far as hunting, for the distances I'm still effective at it can do the job admirably and cost much less than my other calibers. Case in point, Optics planet just advertised 10 338LM rounds for 75.99 per box. Glad I load my own.

Based on the responses, I don't think the 308 win is going to the unwanted pile anytime soon. I just saw an ad for 308 win ammo at $18.99 a box. Not bad for those who just want to start their journey into the world of shooting and hunting. I would never spend $5 - $7k on a custom rifle chambered in 308 win, but I am very happy to pull out my Browning Xbolt and head to the deer woods for the day. Heading to the reloading room now. I have a new box of Lapua brass that needs some attention…..

Why keep my 308?
- Reliable and accurate: when I point and shoot it's going to drop.
- Splat factor: Took it out one night on a thermal for I was needing the increased 'splat factor' for big red deer and Wapiti cross.
- excellent barrel life: as other members mentioned 3-5k range so if you hunt quite a bit this is a dependable equipment.

All in all - a very fit for purpose tool….