Where does .308 Winchester excel?

dmass

Recently I've thought about buying a Tikka CTR in .308 as I no longer have a rifle in that caliber after selling my model 10 and already have a 6.5 Creed in a bravo. But it's got me thinking, with all the cartridges that are out now, does it really make sense to buy one new? The ballistics are worse than It's smaller caliber derivatives, it has more recoil, and any animal I would feel comfortable shooting with .308 I'd also shoot with a 6/6.5/7mm and .223 given a good projectile in it's effective range. The biggest points in it's favor that I can think of are
1. Ammo cost relative to the 6/6.5/7mms although those seem to be coming down a bit
2. Ammo ubiquity compared to 6/6.5/7mms
3. Potentially a good trainer as it drifts more in the wind, but I feel like the same thing could be done with .223
What am I missing? The point of this thread isn't to try and **** on .308, I just can't think of a reason I should get one even though I'm likely going to eventually.

What am I missing?
Nothing. You're not missing anything.

The 308 just isn't a practical choice for much of anything these days. Once upon a time you couldn't pry a 308 out of my hands. A lot has changed in the last 10 years.

The only practical reasons I can think of to have one these days is the nostalgia for those of us that used to compete with them, and a very few very specific use cases where 308 is either required by regulations in competition, or some super specific goofy thing you're trying to do with an AR10. Then there's the "I just want one" factor... which is reason enough to buy any rifle.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

If someone does not reload, and they just like the easy button, then the the 308 win is awesome. Also if someone just loves to shoot and chases whitetail in the eastern woods, what's not to like? I completely understand the desire to incrementally improve ballistics and chase perfection by going down the latest and greatest path, but I think I will always have a 308 in my safe.

If it can't get done with a .308win, it probably can't get done. Every critter that I've taken in my lifetime could have been taken with the time-tested .308. My Canadian guide told me that most of the moose are taken by hunters with .308/30-06 cartridges.

I've shot-out a good number of custom barrels. Some only lasted about 1,000 rds. My .308 is closing in on 2,000 rds and when I checked the bore with a Tesla the other day, I was shocked at how much throat erosion NEVER took place. I'd guess that the barrel life will exceed 3,000-4,000 rds. How many wizz-bang cartridges can make claim to that?

Last edited:
In machine guns like the M60. Satisfactory performance in NRA match shooting with 168 grain bullets. Barrel life between 1500 - 2000 before 600 yard scores decline. Lots of cheap once fired brass. Reliable game killer 300 yards plus. Close to same performance as .30-06 with 150 grain bullets. Easy load development. I have a flyweight 20-inch barrel .308 that I use at 300 with 125 grain bullets with whatever powder is left over from loading .223, .204R, & .20 P ammo.

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of it? It is great at killing pretty much anything - ask any sniper over 40, or anyone that has ever hunted with one. (sorry, but the needmore can't say that and never will) As previously said the 308's abilities are due to versatility, proven history and being a 30 cal, and unlike the 6mms and the 6.5s, it is good at everything just like the 30-06.

Recently I've thought about buying a Tikka CTR in .308 as I no longer have a rifle in that caliber after selling my model 10 and already have a 6.5 Creed in a bravo. But it's got me thinking, with all the cartridges that are out now, does it really make sense to buy one new? The ballistics are worse than It's smaller caliber derivatives, it has more recoil, and any animal I would feel comfortable shooting with .308 I'd also shoot with a 6/6.5/7mm and .223 given a good projectile in it's effective range. The biggest points in it's favor that I can think of are
1. Ammo cost relative to the 6/6.5/7mms although those seem to be coming down a bit
2. Ammo ubiquity compared to 6/6.5/7mms
3. Potentially a good trainer as it drifts more in the wind, but I feel like the same thing could be done with .223
What am I missing? The point of this thread isn't to try and **** on .308, I just can't think of a reason I should get one even though I'm likely going to eventually.
I got rid of mine too. It's boring.

That being said it excels at having near infinite barrel life, being a jack of all trades (and master of none) for hunting, having ammo available wherever ammo is found (unless in a shortage), and most of all being easy as all heck to tune an accurate load for. It's the opposite of finicky. In my experience you'd have to put some effort in to find a load most .308 rifles WOULDNT shoot well, or at least well enough, compared to most any other cartridge.

It's efficient in how much powder is burned for how much performance you get. It does well with shorter barrels.

So it's boring 🤣.

308 shines in a short barreled gun. Great choice for carbon fiber barrels because the barrel life is so good. Solid hunting round out to 600yds. If you through aside all the hype of different cartridges and look at price to shoot, ease of shooting, performance it's still a great choice