Where does accuracy suffer?

Here is what I built for a similar purpose...

FN/Winchester model 70
McMillan Supergrade stock (action bedded in MarineTex)
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44mm scope
Exactly 9 lbs...loaded and ready to hunt...not really a lightweight, but its not overly heavy either...and its a sweet shooter even when running full bore.

I was gonna rebarrel it to 280AI...but the factory 30-06 barrel shoots way too good to waste, so I left it a 30-06 and to be honest...I'm very glad I did.

It had no trouble at all reaching that tree line last year...thats a tick over 400 yards...doesn't really look like it in this pic, but it is.

The result of that shot...the only deer taken with the rifle so far...I don't normally kill the little guys, but I was anxious to get some blood on the new rifle...I put it right in his spine, dropped him where he stood....he was almost directly facing me, but quartering just a little...

Shoots pretty decent...this load was 175 grain Bergers, one of the first I tried in the completed rifle...I have since tightened it up a bit by changing the seating depth and sizing brass to fit the chamber...if that won't get me meat at 600 yards, I'll pack it in and go home.

Ridgerunner, that's a fine rifle. I am particular to the classic American sporter style, especially when they shoot like that.
I have to agree, between the caliber, demonstrated accuracy, and weight of the rifle that will make a deadly 600 yard rig.

Nice! I like it. I've always had a soft spot for the M70s. That's one of my favorite rounds as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.