Where does .308 Winchester excel?

The .308 Win and the 7.62x51mm NATO have one thing going for them that's hard to deny... history. They have put the preverbal dirt nap on both four and two-legged critters over their 69-year life span, not a bad record if you ask me. Yeah, it's not the .30-06 Springfield that it was supposed to replace as a sporting cartridge in the .308 Win, basically because of the 06's ability to use heavy bullets very well, but as a Military cartridge, it did pretty well with the 147gr bullet. Now, does it outperform many of the newer small calibers in a lot of the 6mm,6.5mm, and 7mm? not really, but... it still gets to that magical 1k with 155gr, 168gr, and 175gr bullets quite well. On the .308 Win sporting end, you can go up to say 190gr on the very heavy end, 150gr to 180gr being the sweet spot for the hunting end, and it still does a very good job at most all normal hunting ranges, in all manner of firearms... So can a guy do better? sure, but... that would also depend on the guy shooting the .308, and what's your definition of "better" is. Just my 0.2 Cheers

My all around general purpose round is the 30.06. It has a slight advantage over the .308 especially for high velocity or heavy bullet weight loads. I reload, and my shooting is for load development, sighting in, practice, and hunting.

However, if I didn't reload and spent a lot of time in pursuits that require throwing lots of lead downrange, then I would probably get the .308, buy lots of bulk ammo, and be quite happy with it.

If it can't get done with a .308win, it probably can't get done. Every critter that I've taken in my lifetime could have been taken with the time-tested .308. My Canadian guide told me that most of the moose are taken by hunters with .308/30-06 cartridges.

I've shot-out a good number of custom barrels. Some only lasted about 1,000 rds. My .308 is closing in on 2,000 rds and when I checked the bore with a Tesla the other day, I was shocked at how much throat erosion NEVER took place. I'd guess that the barrel life will exceed 3,000-4,000 rds. How many wizz-bang cartridges can make claim to that?
My 30 Cal bolt gun is a 308. Its on its second barrel. The first one (factory) lasted 8000 rounds before it would no longer put 5 shots into a sub moa group. I'm expecting my current (McGowan) barrel to last at least that long if not longer. Add that I live east of the Mississippi river. If something is far enough away that a 308 isn't enough, its to far away for me to even see.

I consolidated my inventory a few years back. I kept the 308 as it and 223 ammo is just too prevalent to ignore. Is the 6.5 CM superior for long range? I suppose, by a hair, but not enough to switch.

Where does the 308 excell? - everywhere!

Varmints 155 scenars
Medium game 150-168
Large Game 168-180

Easy to reload, easy to find components.

Other than sqirells, coyotes, antelope, pigs, deer, elk, and moose - I have not used a 308 much.

I always laught at the people who say a 300 Win Mag is good for elk at 600 yards but a 308 win is no good for elk at 400 yards. Guess what - the bullets are travelling the same velocity.
👍
👍👍

Most of what has already been said I agree with but, the most important thing is ? Don't ya wanna be like everyone else and have one ? That's a good enough reason. I own em and love em.

Easy to load for, inexpensive quality brass, tons of load data and components, great out to 500 yards for hunting. Love the bolt gun I built with a 18" Barrel which I run suppressed.

Edit: More stories with the 308 than probably any other cartridge.

Last edited:
The 308 excelled last deer season coming out of my old Savage 99. Shot one shot, deer died one time. That excelled in my book.
I was hunting with my father in the Ocala National Forest in 1961 at the age of six. I was by his side when he whispered to hold my ears. He squeezed his rock hard trigger from his Savage 99E .308 Win and the buck buckled and went down. I reached for the empty cartridge and smelled the burnt powder and have been obsessed with shooting/hunting/loading since. Never chose to shoot a .308 but it definitely is a finalist for the Mount Rushmore of American cartridges. My father re-barrelled, restocked, and hunted with that 99E until he couldn't hunt anymore at 87 years old. He wanted to be buried with it but it is my sons and will always be in the family. My .308 story

Where does the 308 excell? - everywhere!

Varmints 155 scenars
Medium game 150-168
Large Game 168-180

Easy to reload, easy to find components.

Other than sqirells, coyotes, antelope, pigs, deer, elk, and moose - I have not used a 308 much.

I always laught at the people who say a 300 Win Mag is good for elk at 600 yards but a 308 win is no good for elk at 400 yards. Guess what - the bullets are travelling the same velocity.
The 155 scenar is by far my favorite 30 cal bullet. Its a bit pricey but it works

One of my 308 win stories:

T2VoPHal.jpg