Where are all the supplies going?

P
We must be really lucky in idaho. I have bought ammo several times from Walmart over the last 6 months and multiple times at other vendors locally. The amMo is there but I have seen pallets get liquidated in minutes. That was pallets of shot shells in that particular instance. No it's not there everyday but it does come in. Even the mysterious 143 eldx bullets were on midway this morning for about 5 minutes. You have to be there when the ammo is there or you don't get. I also have a large network of friends both on this site and local that watch for each other for certain items so maybe that's why I see more of it I guess.
Part of it is that this new generation thinks if they can't find something on the internet it doesn't exist. I had to teach myself this a few years back when I got into a gambling addiction on eBay. The way the notifications are set up they want you to think it's the last one on the planet. The same is true for ammo, components. I've found ammo, I've found powder and even a 1k of primers here and there. IN AN ACTUAL STORE! And yes I go to sportsman's wherehouse 3 times a week and bass pro 2 times a week and my local gun store 2 times a week. The stuff comes out! But I don't go but 338 bullets just because I might buy one someday and there might not be some tomorrow. During the last 12 months I've bought (off the shelf and online) 2k primers 400 eldx bullets 6.5&30cal, 10-20lb of powder (I lost count), lots and lots of Barnes lrx, ttsx, tsx bullets Nosler partition and ABLR bullets (bout 1500 all together 6.5/7/30cal) also bullets for 44, 9, 22 and cases buy the 2k++ I shoot ALOT I also try to help other people out when I can.

Its also true that I haven't seen my favorite 6.5mm bullet the 140rdf in over 12mos but I've shot plenty of others in the meantime.

Last edited:
Bots are logged into Midway 24/7 and purchase hot items within seconds. I got a notification 143 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor was available and it was sold out in 3 minutes.
I bought some a week ago at Bass pro, I didn't see any bots there...

I've alway said: they won't ban the guns, it'll be the ammo you won't be able to get
I agree. Your hi cap magazine don't do much empty. They are already trying to microstamp ammo and look at caloifornia background check for it. They keep scratching there heads till its done. Guess they dont realize a gas can and a match can be more dangerous than a ar15. Criminals always find a way. Taking our ammo will make that worse.

That's what they all want us to believe. If true, how come the only thing to make it out to consumers is 5.56 FMJ and 9MM FMJ and small amounts of 12ga buckshot? Where are all the 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and .410 target loads? They have dedicated machines loading this stuff, and its pretty useless for self defense and there aren't even close to the normal amount of folks out there burning it up on clays. It is not making it to the distributors for the US civilian market. If being produced where is it going? Same with components. Only a trickle is making it to distribution. We are being lied to by someone. Winchester has a plant in Mississippi that makes nothing but rimfire cartridges. Where is all that going if it is being produced? It is not making it to distribution. You can't even buy $30/bx RF match ammo, and its all imported. The market has been dry long enough for the importers to have brought enough in to make a killing. Where is that? I may not have the sharpest pencil in class, but mine does write.

I'm still trying to figure out who "They" are. The only lies being told and spread right now are the ones flying all over the internet by conspiracy theorists. This isn't the government, shell companies, the "liberal elites" or a group of Nigerian Princes trying to hustle everyone.

The components and ammunition are out there whether you're seeing it or not. I just left a shop today that had a bunch of different rifle, pistol, and shotgun powders on hand, including H1000, and none of them were over $30 per #. They told me that another local shop had a bunch of different powders at their shop too. Neither shop has any restrictions on quantities or anything like that. They just happen to be in areas where nobody's out there freaking out and buying up the whole store. I grabbed 1 bottle of Ramshot Enforcer for me and 1# of Magpro for a buddy who's been looking for some. I could have bought up all the high demand powders and had then listed online by the end of the night, sold them for $75 per pound with $20 flat rate shipping (I'm an approved hazmat shipper for both FedEx and UPS) and still made a 30% profit off each pound sold. That's not a bad margin.

Or maybe I should go back and buy up their whole inventory and move it to my offshore warehouse on the uncharted island in the south Pacific. You know, the one where Hornady, Federal, Hodgdon and Alliant are secretly hiding all of their components, as well as giant silos full of all that money they're making while quietly working with the government, liberals, and the lizard people from under the mountain.......

I'm still trying to figure out who "They" are. The only lies being told and spread right now are the ones flying all over the internet by conspiracy theorists. This isn't the government, shell companies, the "liberal elites" or a group of Nigerian Princes trying to hustle everyone.

The components and ammunition are out there whether you're seeing it or not. I just left a shop today that had a bunch of different rifle, pistol, and shotgun powders on hand, including H1000, and none of them were over $30 per #. They told me that another local shop had a bunch of different powders at their shop too. Neither shop has any restrictions on quantities or anything like that. They just happen to be in areas where nobody's out there freaking out and buying up the whole store. I grabbed 1 bottle of Ramshot Enforcer for me and 1# of Magpro for a buddy who's been looking for some. I could have bought up all the high demand powders and had then listed online by the end of the night, sold them for $75 per pound with $20 flat rate shipping (I'm an approved hazmat shipper for both FedEx and UPS) and still made a 30% profit off each pound sold. That's not a bad margin.

Or maybe I should go back and buy up their whole inventory and move it to my offshore warehouse on the uncharted island in the south Pacific. You know, the one where Hornady, Federal, Hodgdon and Alliant are secretly hiding all of their components, as well as giant silos full of all that money they're making while quietly working with the government, liberals, and the lizard people from under the mountain.......
I've sat through a lot of shortages. This one makes no sense. The distrust is high here and everywhere else simply because anyone with half a brain knows there are some very powerful and bad players out there with bad agendas. Are they involved? None of us know for sure, but we know they would be if given a chance. This is the basis for all the rumors. Usually where there is smoke, there's also at least a smoldering fire somewhere. I do know you can't believe anything you hear anymore and half the stuff you see with your own eyes. There seems to be just enough of a trickle of ammo and components to make all the excuses plausible. How long has it been since anyone has seen shots hell primers for sale? .410 target loads? I need 10 flats for tournaments this year.

Put the tin foil hats away boys. The government isn't buying up the ammo, the ammo manufactures aren't stockpiling it to cause the shortage, and they certainly aren't lowering production. Ammo, bullets, powder, primers, dies, etc. are all out there and being made as fast as possible. I'm a member on multiple forums and social media groups, I see an ammo/powder/primer drop every day. The supplies are out there, but because of panicked people, people taking advantage of the panicked people, people who just want to buy their usual stuff, the people who are hoarding, and all of the millions of new gun owners and people getting into reloading this is the result. The same thing happened when Obama was elected both terms.

Even with things being crazy, myself and my shooting buddies have been able to get supplies. It may not have been as easy to get, the exact things we wanted, or the prices we are use too, but we got stuff. The best thing to do in these times is to only buy the amount of components/ammo that you actually need for the next 6-12 months. Everyone right now seems to be buying as much as they can afford or as much as they are limited too. That is not how to do it. If you shoot 500 rounds a year out of your 6.5 then you don't need 2000 primers, 16lbs of 4350, and 1000 bullets. Yes it's nice to have a good supply, but wait until things are normalized before you stockpile. Your fellow reloaders and shooters will thank you if you leave them some components on the shelf for them. Most guys I know only buy the amount of stuff they need when things aren't crazy. Most people aren't buying 16lbs of powder and 5000 primers whenever they are low on supplies. Most of them only buy a little bit to last them 6-12 months. If we all could just buy what we need and not hoard the supplies, then things would get back to normal faster. In a year from now when this is over, do yourself a favor and buy as much supplies as you can afford. Then when this happens again you can sit back and relax and shoot whenever you want without worry!

If we all could just buy what we need and not hoard the supplies, then things would get back to normal faster. In a year from now when this is over, do yourself a favor and buy as much supplies as you can afford. Then when this happens again you can sit back and relax and shoot whenever you want without worry!
That is what I did but I would add that the people that create the real problems are the people who are willing to buy stuff from people price gouging. I know when my local store gets their shipments in because they tell you. There are always the same 20 retired/unemployed guys waiting at the counter there and buying up everything. Pretty sure they are all reselling it and I was just about kicked out of the store when I went off on them and the guy at the counter about what BS it was that he only sells to the same 20 people each week and some of us have to work and can't hang out in the store all morning to get a box on 9mm.

This was during the last shortage under Emperor Obama, I stocked up when prices normalized and things were in stock. Unfortunately I have a feeling that might have been my last chance to stock up because I see guns being regulated out of existence like in Canada and Kalifornia. Hell, the whole country watch the election being stolen and not a shot was fired and the military stood down. The Military and Police are being vetted for the new mission under Biden and there will never be another President that was elected by the people. Can't have a country without borders, that is a fact, now apply it to what has been happening the past 3 decades.

Put the tin foil hats away boys. The government isn't buying up the ammo, the ammo manufactures aren't stockpiling it to cause the shortage, and they certainly aren't lowering production. Ammo, bullets, powder, primers, dies, etc. are all out there and being made as fast as possible. I'm a member on multiple forums and social media groups, I see an ammo/powder/primer drop every day. The supplies are out there, but because of panicked people, people taking advantage of the panicked people, people who just want to buy their usual stuff, the people who are hoarding, and all of the millions of new gun owners and people getting into reloading this is the result. The same thing happened when Obama was elected both terms.

Even with things being crazy, myself and my shooting buddies have been able to get supplies. It may not have been as easy to get, the exact things we wanted, or the prices we are use too, but we got stuff. The best thing to do in these times is to only buy the amount of components/ammo that you actually need for the next 6-12 months. Everyone right now seems to be buying as much as they can afford or as much as they are limited too. That is not how to do it. If you shoot 500 rounds a year out of your 6.5 then you don't need 2000 primers, 16lbs of 4350, and 1000 bullets. Yes it's nice to have a good supply, but wait until things are normalized before you stockpile. Your fellow reloaders and shooters will thank you if you leave them some components on the shelf for them. Most guys I know only buy the amount of stuff they need when things aren't crazy. Most people aren't buying 16lbs of powder and 5000 primers whenever they are low on supplies. Most of them only buy a little bit to last them 6-12 months. If we all could just buy what we need and not hoard the supplies, then things would get back to normal faster. In a year from now when this is over, do yourself a favor and buy as much supplies as you can afford. Then when this happens again you can sit back and relax and shoot whenever you want without worry!
Yes, recreational shooters can get enough supplies to enjoy their firearms. Competitive shooters are in a real bind right now. Shotgun shooters are in real trouble. Everyone I run around with buys shotgun components in lots of 5K. Shooting skeet we need 500 shells for a Tournament plus shells for shoot offs. You have to attend 10 shoots a year to shoot the minimums, and they use your top 12 for All American Points. We all shoot factory loads in shoots to avoid another shooter filing a protest on ammo. This means you must have about 12 flats of 12ga, 6 flats of 20ga, 6 flats of 28ga, 6 flats of .410, just to shoot the minimums. Then there is practice. Most folks shoot 6-10 practice rounds for every round shot in competition. You burn through all the stuff pretty quickly, and have to resupply often. Last year we shot a short schedule due to covid. All competitive shooters did. Now with a 1-2 box limit on shells everywhere, if you can even find them, and limits on primers, if you can find them, will put a real limit on competition. These challenges exist for every competitive shooter in any high volume shooting sport. When they buy components or factory ammo I'm sure most recreational shooters would call them hoarders, however I can assure you that is not the case. I don't know of a single shooter not sponsored by an ammo company that has enough for the season, and those that are, are not allotted factory ammo for practice. This includes World Champions. As a group, we are getting pretty bitter about the whole thing. Many of us have a fortune in time and money invested in this sport. The only bright thing, if you could call it that, is there are some really great deals on high end competition guns in the $40k range. Dummy me bought a new competition shotgun last year right before Covid hit. At least I'n not wearing it out prematurely LOL. And BTW this has never happened. We have always been able to source what we needed for competitive shooting, even during Y2K and Obama. This is different.

Last edited:
The current government would love to squelch the ammo supply. But this was 100% expected with an election year with an Obama administration buddy. The corona started it early. For anybody that has a hard time seeing what else is coming you may want to get you whatever high capacity magazines or any that stupid stuff because it's next. And that 1 is the government

It's the govt that's tying up the ammo train, one contract with federal ammo company, for the govt alone is for 112 million dollars just for 9mm hollow-point ammo. That should scare you because we all know that ammo is to use on citizens who don't toe the line
The NRA and its meetings are the perfect excuse for ammo companies to get together and conspire to restrict supply, and thus increase prices. They meet under the pretext of "supporting the 2d Amendment." They have their big conventions and trade shows, and in the evening withdraw to the privacy of their hotels. They crow about free speech and the right to bear arms. Some people buy this hook, line, and sinker, just like religious zealots at a faith healer's crusade. Every body gets worked up, but nobody looks behind the scene to question what seems to be really going on. After the cocktails, behind closed doors, they form agreements in restraint of trade. Reduce supply and up the price! The NRA gets their one percent. Everybody makes money screwing the citizens who love shooting. All the NRA has to do is change the subject to politics, and and the fanatics start frothing at the mouth so that nary a critical comment will arise. They turn sincere supporters of the Second Amendment into a club for chumps.

This is one possible explanation of what is going on. I hope I am not right. But when you apply "the smell test" this seems to be the likely explanation. You certainly won't hear about any of this from the NRA.

Here is another one for you folks that think it is simply due to the new gun owners and hoarders. Try and buy parts for any high end progressive loader, or a new one. You will find parts BO for 2-6mos. You will not find them on Gunbroker, and you will not find them new or used on Ebay, or anywhere else on the web. I guess all these new gun owners also bought a $2-3k loader for ammo and broke them? Absurd.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts