When is enough, enough.....

If you are enjoying what you are doing, and staying within your budget then no worries!!! I would recommend getting proficient with the equipment that you have through lots of reloading and testing. If you are able to get the results you are after consistently then you are set :) If through testing you find a hole in your system then it's time to go shopping for advice and then product. Honestly, components are a better investment right now so you can use the equipment you have. Until you have proven a need for further equipment investment, then there is no need to chase the latest and greatest ;) just my 2 cents. HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, AND PRACTICE!

SHORE SHELVES...IS that like a flea market on the beach? Did you hear that the fella that invented SPELL CHECK died Monday? His funeral will be held Tomato!
No, it's called a misspelled word, here I'll change it then you'll be able to understand it better. ;) 😂

My wife gave up years ago. She just shrugs her shoulders and I go get it. When is enough enough? No idea. I've been collecting rifles and reloading stuff for over 35 years and I seriously have lots of rifles that haven't seen the outside of my safes for decades. Could the money have been spent elsewhere? Absolutely. Did my kids go without because I was buying guns or gun stuff NOPE. I've all but quit saying this last one or this will be perfect for this or that. I figure I don't complain about my wife's quilting machines or embroidery stuff sewing machines that cost as much as a used car, so she has hers I have mine and I really don't think the end is in sight for either of us. I tell the kids all the time I am spending their inheritance... I say if you can afford it and it makes you happy without being detrimental to your house hold go for it....

BTW Just ordered a Wilson Combat 458 Ham'r cause its the next thing i needed to have and they limited me to buying only 200 rounds so I need powder dies bullets brass blah blah blah.

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...

When they slam the lid shut. I wonder if St. Peter is a shooter? Happy shooting.

Hello everyone,
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

It seems there is no end but my wife would disagree lol. This very subject came up bout a week back not a bad back just a week ago anyway she was working out in the basement and unfortunately I left the safe open not only was she surprised on how much I had accumulated over the years she found my cash stash. After a discussion I told her how I acquired this by trading and selling things I didn't use I also tried to get her to do the same when she wants new shoes or a purse she should sell and trade what she has well as you probably guessed there wasn't an agreement so now I double check and make sure the safe is locked lol 🤕

Hello everyone,

Your question references " hunter/plinker and hunter and casual shooter" If you are already, and with confidence and repeatably, shooting 1MOA or less, then you can likely and humanely harvest game at distances allowable, per the energy produced by a chosen cartidge. For example, a "big elk" has a kill zone of approx 15"or more. At 600 yds - 1 moa = 6+". 2 moa = 12+". Know your equipment, hold over & drift, how to correctly read wind, and personal capacity, and you have the making's of an ethical successful hunter.

Plinker & casual shooter, are in the eye of the beholder. But I get the "crack whore" thing. And have plenty of "gadgets" that I do not use, cluttering up my reloading bench!!! I think 3 things make for a better shooter, good practice, good practice and ahhh, oh yes, Good Practice. For me, satisfaction around shooting comes from making, by tweeking, modifying,,,, good quality factory rilfes shoot "accuratley". I have some factory rifles that started out shooting 1" - 2" moa, now shooting .375" moa or less. It was not the relaoding gadgets that got those rilfes to shoot, it was what I was able to do, by understanding the dynamics of loading, what I could improve - correct on the rifle itself, correctly reading wind,,,,, and my ability to put it all together. Including my effect on the shot. Breathing, muscle control, trigger squeeze,,,,,,,,on and on. Good luck! Good discussion topic!

Hello everyone,

My Friend, I regret to inform you that you've passed the event horizon some time ago without noticing it, and are now accelerating without control into the black hole of reloading mania. I do hope that you are enjoying your journey! My only question is "how did your message escape" ? I can only presume that I too am deeply held within the clutches of the same black hole.

Hello everyone,

I am pretty much at the WHOA point right now... I've got stuff in my basement that won't get used for years, if ever. I could probably buy a new truck for the value of the powder, bullets, guns, etc. I have... I bought a boat recently and will likely be putting most of my free money into that for the foreseeable future and letting my inventory wilt...that's what I tell my wife right now anyway...

Try ballistics. Long-range. That's a science all in itself. It supports your reloading addiction. No longer only crack. If people start calling you "Hunter" you may consider rehab. Stay away from parmesan cheese tho...

I'm retired and read these posts daily for something to do beside loading and shooting..... I've been reading 8 pages on when enough is enough since yesterday...... I'm a slow reader and my eyes are tired from reading, so I think I'll take a nap and when I get up I have to finish reloading some fresh ammo so I can go shooting with my friends this Saturday. Oh yeah, and when I get home later Saturday evening I'll throw the spent cases into the tumbler and then I'll have more time to start reading another LRH post.......... Keep them comin' fellas. Thanx!!