Whats the "Hottest" 30 caliber?

Mark,

With the lighter weight bullets, like a 180-190gr, the bullet would indeed have a short bearing length, probably none left if it had a .805 BC.

Either that, or the length of the bullet would require a twist rate so high it's impractical and would overstabilize any other bullet of the same weight and agrivate any imbalances it had. Indeed, accuracy verses BC is exactly what mean.

Anyone have some specs on the 188gr bullet? I need these numbers to calculate the BC:
Overall length.
Nose length.
Tip (Meplat) dia.
Boattail length.
Boattail dia.
Bullet material... copper, brass, tungsten etc.

Brent,

You're the man I need to ask a few questions to...

Have you had the time to get a positive B.C. for the following...

175 SMK
190 SMK
200 Accubond

It would be great if you have this info.!!

Also have you ever tested the 168 gr Nosler J4 Competition? If not I can send you 20 bullets....

Thanks Brent!!

Ric,

I've never used the 175 or 190 SMK, but I have planned on trying the 175 in the 308 WIN 12 twist sometime in the next couple months after getting it rebedded. My dad has about 300 of the 190's left so I could try them for you. I did shoot the 168 J4, but only for a couple groups, I just had ten of them my dad gave me. If you send me some what speeds would you like them tested at, 308win or the 300 Ultra (2700 or 3300-3500 fps)? The 308 is a 20" 12 twist, the 300 Ultra a 26" 10, and the 30/338 LI an 30" 11. Take your pick and I'll be glad to send 'em over the screens for ya.

I've got a little over a hundered of the 200gr Accubonds, and I plan on testing them and the 210 JLK's next. Wind is blowing pretty hard the last couple days, "but" it has warmed up to 25-30 deg F tho.

Brent,

As stated the BC for the 188gr has not been established, yet. We used a standard model to start with and will use a dual chrony and reverse engineering to qualify. Until we shoot the bullets, we won't know for sure, as already stated.

Don

Shaky:
Saw one of your groove bullets.
shocked.gif
IT will be interesting to see just how they proform. Some thing still just doesn't jive in my head about those groves.
I still feel that the groves will cause turbulance around the bullet in flight. I'd like to see a picture of the bullet caught by a high speed camera just to see the air streem around it. I'm not saying they wount shoot. Just would like to see proof. Thanks just had to get that off my chest.

Brent,

Sounds good! I'm away for a few more days but will return to the ranch next week.. Once I get there I'll shoot you an e-mail and I'll send ya some bullets.

Bald Eagle...

I can't say I havn't thought the same thing... but I am no aero-dynamics person either... thye look like tiny little "air breaks" or flaps.. I realize the concept is less contact with the barrel so you achieve more speed but... I can't let go of the "disturbance issue" either....

baldeagle,

We have shot the EXP type (hunting bullet) to 600 yards with very good accuracy. We have customers that have shot the EXP type to 800 yards and they say that the Groove Bullets shoot more accurate then any bullet they tried in the past.

I spoke to an industry expert about the disturbances caused by the grooves. He didn't think the grooves would have much of any impact.

Once we recieve data from those that are testing the LR type Groove Bullets out to 1000 yards we will then have the concrete data. We will evaluate the data and make a determination.

Don

Williamsport sounds like the perfect testing grounds to me.
smile.gif

I'll bet DC and the boys could give you more valuable feedback, at less cost, than any ballistics lab.

They might even get you some terminal performance info to boot.
wink.gif

What do you think DC?

VH

Originally posted by Brent:
Don, if you're using two Chronies and the BC is that high, how far apart are they placed, and at what distance from the muzzle is each one?

Standard model Chrony brand chrono?
Dual chrony?
Reverse engenering???

Have you got a picture of this bullet, and its length?

Anyone have some specs on the 188gr bullet? I need these numbers to calculate the BC:
Overall length.
Nose length.
Tip (Meplat) dia.
Boattail length.
Boattail dia.
Bullet material... copper, brass, tungsten etc.

Don,
Since you have not tested the BC yet, and it's estimated only? how is it you estimate the BC?

I assume Jon was really trying to figure out how you arrived at a BC of .805, estimated, tested or otherwise?

Do you plan on testing the BC yourself and publishing your findings, or are the the others that are testing them doing this for you?

Is anyone here testing the BC of Don's bullets with two chronographs?

VH,

There already are some members of the Williamsport club that have the LR type Groove Bullets and will be producing test data. We have sent the LR type to other long range shooters across the country and await their feedback as well. Once we have the data I will be sure to let all know the results.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.