Whats the "Hottest" 30 caliber?

Baldeagle,

Butch, right?

Can you send me an e-mail? For some reason I tried to send you one and it won't go through. I need to ask you something that doesn't relate to this thread.

Thanks,

Don

Hey Baldeagle,

Yeah, but DC, said the barrel would be so long I would have to shoot it from the cleaning shed.

LOL, I figured you might help me get it to the line, what do you think?

Later, Vern

Shaky:
No, I'm not Butch. I'm Boyd's neighbor. Ya know the one D.C. said that I said Boyd picked his nose but I saed no such thing! IF ya fallow me. LOL
whistle pig: If ya need help all ya gotta do is ask. Are we gonna need a BLOCK and Tackle for this new GUN?

grin.gif

Shaky,
I would go with the 300 RUM or the Tomahawk, I don't by into the energy thing at all. Killed to many deer and elk with "light" calibers and decent ranges which according to the energy formula wouldn't kill a coyote.
It's all about shot placement.
Seen some of your bullets at Pride Manu. in Liberty, MO. Those were your's right?

baldeagle,

Sorry. Sorry that you live so close to Boyd and that I mistook you for Butch
wink.gif

I do need to speak with Butch though. Hey Butch send me an e-mail.

Don
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>The 188gr LR Groove Bullet has an esitmated BC of .805.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No offense intended, but how on earth are you going to get a .805 BC out of a 188 grain 30 caliber bullet?

Is it going to be more aerodynamically efficient (better form factor) than this?

J40_.308-220c.jpg

It's going to need to be.

The 190 J40 only has a BC of .663 (which is pretty incredible for a 190 30 cal bullet). How much pointier can you make it?

chris,

I don't buy into the "energy" either. Our own testing has proven that a certain "number" of ft lbs are required to kill an animal - is false. Bullet construction, material and geometric form play a huge role in how a bullet penetrates.

In days gone by, a minimum energy level "may" have played a role, but some things have changed since.

Don

Jon A,

This is why we have to wait until the test data is gathered and analized.

Don

I think what Jon is saying is, .805 BC is nice, but you're either shooting the magic bullet or you're dreaming about .200 higher than reality.
wink.gif
You're not going to take after Barnes are you?
grin.gif

Basically, well, yeah.
grin.gif

But fair enough, Don. If you don't mind my asking, what sort of testing procedure do you use to find the BC of your bullets?

Brent,

Not sure what Barnes does to calculate the BC of their bullets so I am at a loss with regards to your question.

Don

Jon,

We use a standard model, dual chrony and reverse engineering to establish the BC of our bullets.

Don

If I had twenty bullets, I could positively tell you what the BC is. At 3100-3300 fps, the 210 Bergers I just tested were .630 - .640 BC at standard sea level conditions. That's quite close to what Berger advertises. I wish all mfg's took the time to nail down the BC like this before they tried to sell bullets with inflated guesstimate numbers. Either Barnes Testing procedure is seriously flawed, the distances between their chronographs is inaccurate or they just guess at the BC based on some inaccurate method, because all but one bullet I've tested has seriously inflated BC's, period. In the end, it doesn't speak well of anyone who is that far off the mark, especially when it appears that it's done to promote a product, it's usually called false advertising.

Don, if you're using two Chronies and the BC is that high, how far apart are they placed, and at what distance from the muzzle is each one?

We use a standard model, dual chrony and reverse engineering to establish the BC of our bullets.

Standard model Chrony brand chrono?
Dual chrony?
Reverse engenering???
How you're getting the super high BC still eludes me, I'm still not sure, but I'd lay money on it being at least .150 higher than it really is. Have you got a picture of this bullet, and its length?

I use two 4' rails, the first one hooked to the Oehler M43 and set at 10' from the muzzle, the other rail set at 300 yards (measured center screen to center screen) hooked to the M43 too, or the Oehler 35P.

300 yards is the "minimum" distance between them that ever I use for measuring BC's accurately.

It IS possible to design a bullet with a very high BC, the problem is that you start to lose your bearing surface on the barrel. If you don't have enough bearing surface then the bullet can travel tipped sideways a bit as it travels down the barrel. Obviously not a good idea if you also want accuracy. It becomes an accuracy vs. BC kind of battle with the bullet design.

Mark in Utah

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.