What's the difference in the .338 Edge & .338 RUM ?

As Eaglet said the edge is based on a 300Rum necked up that has a little more case
capacity than the 338 RUM .

I built my 338 RUM on a weatherby MK 5 action that was 1/10 of an inch longer than
most other actions allowing me to seat the bullet long eleminating the differance in
capacity between the 338 RUM and the 300/338 RUM.( Edge )

You can also use the 375 RUM cases for the edge by necking them down .

As far as performance there's little or no difference between the two and factory
ammo is available for the 338 RUM.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
What I can't figure out, is why the 338. is the only one shorter. Why would remington do this?

I think it may have something to do with Remington trying to prevent accidently loading a 300 rum cartridge into one of there 338 rifles as I think the longer (by .09) 300 rum case might make closing the 338 bolt difficult. Thinking this might alert an unsuspecting shooter to a problem and possibly avoid an ugly situation...law suit etc. etc. I'm sure Remington has more than a few lawyers. Just a guess but I'll leave it up to others with far more knowledge than I on what they think the reason might be.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.