Shooting the 338 EDGE

steelhead

We had a long range shoot at Parma Rod and Gun club yesterday. Targets were placed from 200 yards all the way out to 1167 yards. I used my .308 on everything inside 1000 yards, but when it came time to shoot the 1167 yard target I brought the EDGE out.

Temperature was 40 degrees, wind 2 to 5 mph mainly from behind us, but from the streamers we put out by the target, the wind appeared to be coming from the 9 o'clock position most of the time. I dialed 32.5 minutes up and 3 left windage, but over shot the target. I then dialed down 2 minutes and proceeded to smack the 18" wide by 30" tall target. By the end of the day I had hit it 15 times and some of the others in our group were able to hit it with 4 shots from 300WM's and 1 308. When I went to retrieve the target at the end of the day, you could definately tell where I hit with the 338. I was pleasantly surprised to see some nice tight groups no bigger than my fist that were definately 338 hits. I wish I would have had a camera with me. We had a guy there taking pictures, but he had left before the shoot was over.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my 338 EDGE. This May I'm going to try a 1 mile shot.

steelhead,

Very Cool, congratulations on some excellent shooting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Is your club open too the public for these shoots?

JD338

Good shooting, the Edge made a good showing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am very interested in your results at the mile mark.
I have a 338 Edge built with a 30" ABS barrel and plan on shooting the 325 grain wildcats. Ihope to enjoy the big performance of this round soon

Again congradulations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif........

[ QUOTE ]

Good shooting, the Edge made a good showing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am very interested in your results at the mile mark.
I have a 338 Edge built with a 30" ABS barrel and plan on shooting the 325 grain wildcats. Ihope to enjoy the big performance of this round soon

Again congradulations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif........

[/ QUOTE ]

How long did you have to wait to get the barrel wrapped after it was delivered to the wrapping faciility?

James

JD338,

Yes, anyone is welcome to come out and shoot. Our next shoot will will be "off site" at Paddock Reservoir on May 4th and 5th. At this shoot we get to shoot at extreme angles, across canyons and at some really long ranges. This is the shoot that I'm hoping to put a target at 1 mile.

Devin

I'll definately post again when I shoot the mile shot.

I'm interested to hear about your ABS barreled EDGE. And the 325 gr bullets. Where did you get these bullets?

Steelhead also narrowly missed a badger at 1400 yards. That badger did not know what was going on but it got out of there ricky tick!

Nice shooting. That Edge had all of us salivating for one of our own. Right now some of us are looking at building some on a savage platform.

AJG308

Chawlston,
I donot kwow when the barrel arrived a ABS for wrapping, therefore I don't know how long between arriving and wrapping

The 325 grain bullets are the Wildcat bullets made by Richard Graves

Glad your having a good time with it. Sounds like the two of you are developing a great relationship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Glad your having a good time with it. Sounds like the two of you are developing a great relationship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn,

When you were developing this cartridge and testing the 338RUM, did you run out of case capacity with the 338RUM or did you hit a pressure barrier that prevented you from going further? I am thinking that a long drop tube with the appropriate powder could help max out the 338 RUM in a 26-27 inch barrel. Any thoughts? Thanks.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.