What's it capable of?

coyotelite

For all you STW gurus, what is this round capable of? I've always loved the standard 7mm and have heard good things but what is the max range this cartridge is good for on elk and deer? Assuming I'm using the right bluet and put it in the boiler room. I am starting a parts list to build one but want to make sure it's capable of what I'm after.

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

For all you STW gurus, what is this round capable of? I've always loved the standard 7mm and have heard good things but what is the max range this cartridge is good for on elk and deer? Assuming I'm using the right bluet and put it in the boiler room. I am starting a parts list to build one but want to make sure it's capable of what I'm after.
Right rig, right bullet, right guy behind the gun and it's an easy thousand yard shooter on all N. American game with the possible exception of large grizzly/brown bears. Given the right set up though and I don't think I'd even be afraid to use it on them.

The farthest shot I've ever made on game was made with mine and that was 1230 yards on a very nice white tail who was on the far side of a very large wheat field.

The only elk I've ever seen killed in person was taken with the same rifle just shy of 1,000.00 My buddy's 300.wm had a scope failure and we'd brought mine along as a backup. Good thing.

He put a Hornady 162gr Interlock striaght through both shoulders bisecting the spine. I've never seen anything killed any cleaner.

I've taken several dozen big hogs with the same combo over the years, most of them between 400-800yds with the same results.

It'd get awfully boring around here if all we did was look up old threads.

Then of course if someone responds to an old thread some smartass comes along and chides us for replying to a 2 year old thread.

It's not like new opinions and new experiences don't add to the sum total of knowledge available here.

Capable of putting a good hurt on a deer sized critter as far out as you want. Put a good mid weight to heavy weight controlled expansion slug in and watch them fold.

Neck shot at 480 yards with 7stw using 140 accubond, 82rl25, rp brass, 215

1468745_10200660249619151_692823096_n.jpg

Lefty and wild rose know! gotta step up to 300 wm to equal the 7STW or better it. Now were talking heavier bullets to increase the bc over 7mm bullets. That's my opinion only though. The 300wm is pretty phenomenal in it's own right. Gotta have a 7stw though, how many lifetime shots are you gonna make over a 1000 on game? Go 7stw and you will be prepared for any game up to 1000 and lots of game over it.

It'd get awfully boring around here if all we did was look up old threads.

Then of course if someone responds to an old thread some smartass comes along and chides us for replying to a 2 year old thread.

It's not like new opinions and new experiences don't add to the sum total of knowledge available here.

True but that tool is one of the most readily available tool yet very under-utilized.lightbulb

Here's what it's capable of... 1,760 yards. Although the guy in the video says 1,650 yards....So, either his math is wrong, or the guy didn't shoot a mile. But either way, 1,650 or 1,760 is **** impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts