7mm stw, never heard of it

harleybug

So I'm sold on the 7mm stw round and can't wait to finish my rifle but I'm going to have to have some Smith work done and all the smiths I've called hear in San Diego California have all said what's 7mm stw never heard of it. And when I tell them I'm using a rem 700 receiver that is currently chambered for 7 mag they look at me like as deer in the headlights. Not giving me much confidence in our gunsmiths down here. I would assume that rechambering a rifle is a pretty basic question for a 20 year Smith. So I'm going to send it off for my Smith work and I could use some recommendations for a Smith that actually builds long range rifles since all the ones down here in this lame state I live in don't seem to work on rifles.

There's several good smiths here on this site. Kirby Allen is one of them. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, since we've been kind of busy today, but if you ask around there are quite a few on here that would be willing to help you out.

Wow I don't blame you hard to have a lot of confidence in a gunsmith who has never even heard of a 7 STW. What're they teaching youngsters these days!! Do em a favor, send them to this site there is a whole forum dedicated to that round.

If a gunsmith told me he had never heard of the caliber I was wanting built (and it was a standardized caliber), I would RUN fast.

That's what I thought it wasn't very assuring when a Smith of 0 years ask me what's a 7 set and I don't know if it will work in your receiver. We have a decent gun market here and a lot of hunting. I've killed 12 bucks in 7 years of hunting out here 9 with a rifle and 3 with a bow so it's not like there is no call for a gunsmiths in San Diego California but it was pretty sad as I called around.

I would also run from any gunsmith that hadn't heard of a 7mm STW.

What are you having done? It's a bit unclear if you're having a M700 7mm rem mag rechambered to 7mm STW or if you are having a new barrel installed and chambered in 7mm STW. That'll influence the recommendation of gunsmiths someone will give you.

Buying new barrel and chambering for 7 stw. Plus New stock,trigger. I'm doing an entire build just using the receiver off the m700. This is my first long range gun and build so any advice is appreciated.

Buying new barrel and chambering for 7 stw. Plus New stock,trigger. I'm doing an entire build just using the receiver off the m700. This is my first long range gun and build so any advice is appreciated.

Ok. For the 7mm STW on a M700 action the first thing I'd do is fit it with a Wyatt's box to give me more space to shoot the long VLD bullets:

MBE-2 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

There are a gazillion smiths that can rebarrel a M700 and do a fantastic job for you, along with the modification to fit the wyatt's box. Here's one I've used that builds great rifles:

Accuracy Unlimited

I'm sure others will chime in. A remington M700 is the most common build there is, it won't be a problem finding a good gunsmith to do this.

That's what I thought but I guess gunsmiths in Southern California don't shot long range or build precision rifles. I was truly amazed that 4 different smiths down hear could not tell me off hand if the 7 stw would even work in my receiver.

I didnt have good luck with smiths in my area when I was trying to build my custom 280ai. Give Dallas Lane at Lane Precision Rifles a call. Look up some of his stuff on here, all his rifles are tack drivers.

Ok. For the 7mm STW on a M700 action the first thing I'd do is fit it with a Wyatt's box to give me more space to shoot the long VLD bullets:

MBE-2 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

There are a gazillion smiths that can rebarrel a M700 and do a fantastic job for you, along with the modification to fit the wyatt's box. Here's one I've used that builds great rifles:

Accuracy Unlimited

I'm sure others will chime in. A remington M700 is the most common build there is, it won't be a problem finding a good gunsmith to do this.
If he is going STW, I would go with this mag box, just to be safe...

CFE-9 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

It's inside length is 3.990".

I had a Rem 700 in 7 Rem mag rechambered to 7STW probably 15 years ago and my smith knew exactly what to do. He also had the reamer on hand. Your smith is probably still working on muzzleloaders. :D

I have used Montour County Rifles for several recent builds. Kevin is a great guy to deal with and builds very accurate rifles. He is very familiar with long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.