Is it worth it?

jdforsten

Hey guys,

I have been bitten HARD by the 7 STW bug. I had the opportunity to hunt for a few weeks to hunt with a McWhorter in 7 STW. I fell in LOVE with that cartridge! Unfortunately, I can't drop 7K for a rifle right now. BUT, I have the opportunity to buy a Sendero that only has about 60 rounds down the pipe. It has minor scuffs on it but looks to be in good shape. It also will come with 50 rounds of 140 grain accubond hand loads, and a bosh and lomb 6x24x40 elite 4000 series scope. he wants 1500 for all of the above. I have not shot it yet but hopefully later today or next weekend I will let her take me for a ride... Is it worth 1500?

Hey guys,

Is it worth 1500?

If you want it bad enough.:)

Consider quizzing the seller on barrel break-in procedure.

And cleaning process used.

And which copper remover is used.

And velocity of those 140s. (It could be shooting like a 270 Winny)

Depending on answers i'd seriously consider squeezing him a bit. :)

If you want it bad enough.:)

Consider quizzing the seller on barrel break-in procedure.

And cleaning process used.

And which copper remover is used.

And velocity of those 140s. (It could be shooting like a 270 Winny)

Depending on answers i'd seriously consider squeezing him a bit. :)

Ditto!

Hey guys,

I have been bitten HARD by the 7 STW bug. I had the opportunity to hunt for a few weeks to hunt with a McWhorter in 7 STW. I fell in LOVE with that cartridge! Unfortunately, I can't drop 7K for a rifle right now. BUT, I have the opportunity to buy a Sendero that only has about 60 rounds down the pipe. It has minor scuffs on it but looks to be in good shape. It also will come with 50 rounds of 140 grain accubond hand loads, and a bosh and lomb 6x24x40 elite 4000 series scope. he wants 1500 for all of the above. I have not shot it yet but hopefully later today or next weekend I will let her take me for a ride... Is it worth 1500?

Here's one on GunBroker:

Remington 700 7MM STW Sendero bdl Vs ll Vssf : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

I'm surprised they got the price right, considering they didn't have a clue what model the rifle is. LOL

I've never heard of a "Sendero bdl Vs II Vssf" rifle before... :D

I've seen that scope for sale on the used market for under $200. The 7mm Sendero goes for about $1200 to $1400 in good to excellent condition. IMO, it's no steal but if it shoot it's probably worth the price.

I have two Sendero rifles. One is a 7STW and the other is a 7mag. Both are excellent shooters. The 7STW will give you a 200fps advantage over the 7mag and you can tell the difference. The 7mag can be reamed to a 7STW for a small price,so that too is an option when looking for a rifle. I think the 7STW will make a comeback someday,if we ever get over this ammo crisis,brass too maybe more available. It's a good round and if you want one get one,or get a 7mag with a long mag box and make one.

Personally if it's a 7 mag then I would keep it that. To me the 200 fps is not worth the price and hassle for ammo. A 7 mag will drop anything an stw can.

Sacrilege!

Don't mind him, he's just still butthurt that STW brass and ammo is expensive. :D

Just messing with you Harley... Don't take it serious.

200 fps is TOTALLY worth every penny. Plus, without the STW, you're just "some guy" in a forum full of people who own or aspire to own somehing you don't. Hahahahaha!

Don't mind him, he's just still butthurt that STW brass and ammo is expensive. :D

Just messing with you Harley... Don't take it serious.

200 fps is TOTALLY worth every penny. Plus, without the STW, you're just "some guy" in a forum full of people who own or aspire to own somehing you don't. Hahahahaha!

200 fps is usually the difference between a FULL throttle 7rem and a mild mannered stw. Let's put strain gauges on both cal's in similar bbl lengths and have a go at it... I'll even let the remmy go over pressure to 65 kpsi (from 61 kpsi) to help it keep up a bit better...

200 fps is usually the difference between a FULL throttle 7rem and a mild mannered stw. Let's put strain gauges on both cal's in similar bbl lengths and have a go at it... I'll even let the remmy go over pressure to 65 kpsi (from 61 kpsi) to help it keep up a bit better...

John, I would HATE to see what my current 7RM deer round is at (pressure wise). I'm pushing a Berger 168 VLD over 3,115 MV with 65.5gr of 7828 SSC with a 26" 9.5" twist. I am really curious to know what QL says the est. pressure is. I have no pressure signs, but it's friggin MOVIN!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.