Is it worth it?

John, I would HATE to see what my current 7RM deer round is at (pressure wise). I'm pushing a Berger 168 VLD over 3,115 MV with 65.5gr of 7828 SSC with a 26" 9.5" twist. I am really curious to know what QL says the est. pressure is. I have no pressure signs, but it's friggin MOVIN!

rough guess would be 70 Kpsi.... just below the point where the brass will distress... You are ~200 fps hot for that bbl. length with that powder and bullet weight.... about 15% hot pressure wise.... not enough to eat the bolt but a bit of extra strain on the system

Don't mind him, he's just still butthurt that STW brass and ammo is expensive. :D

Just messing with you Harley... Don't take it serious.

200 fps is TOTALLY worth every penny. Plus, without the STW, you're just "some guy" in a forum full of people who own or aspire to own somehing you don't. Hahahahaha!

I am still ****ed about brass prices for the stw, I got all ready to build my rifle in stw and now I can't justify it. I'm getting 2850 with 180vlds out of my 7 mag with a 28inch tube and I guarantee it will do everything I need it to. Best part is I bought 3 boxes of ammo for 57 bucks and now I have brass also So I'm happy. We will see what I do when the 195 come out from Berger though. Maybe I'll go to rum.

I am still ****ed about brass prices for the stw, I got all ready to build my rifle in stw and now I can't justify it. I'm getting 2850 with 180vlds out of my 7 mag with a 28inch tube and I guarantee it will do everything I need it to. Best part is I bought 3 boxes of ammo for 57 bucks and now I have brass also So I'm happy. We will see what I do when the 195 come out from Berger though. Maybe I'll go to rum.

Nothing at all wrong with the 7mmRM. It is my go-to caliber for deer hunting, and has been for over 12 years now. 2,850 with the 180's is stout, but considering I am pushing them over 3,000 (hoping to max around 3,100) with the STW, I feel the gains are justifiable. But everyone has a different opinion of what is worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.