What's in the barrel

Jinx-)

Just finished cleaning my riffle, so I checked the barrel with flash light and I noticed something what wasn't there before, depends on the light angle it looks like dust in the barrel, so I tried to clean it out and it is not moving, tried polish it didn't make any difference, so what is it, normal wear or my barrel is about to fly to barrel heaven???

norwear1.jpg

norwear.jpg

norwear2.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, very interesting!

I'd consider further research before doing anything drastic...... I've not seen anything similar.

Is it local to that spot in the barrel or throughout?

May be an opportunity for Tubb's Final Finish??? I'm pretty high on that process.

I don't have barrel illuminatior or any such device to inspect farther down but as far as I can see its there, this is 5R barrel, I probably had 500 rounds through it no more, I could probably try some heavy stuff like J&B on it, I only had KG-2 bore restore so far. I been firing 155 - 168 grain bullet through most of them 90% made by Nosler, also SMK... Velocities never exceeded 2850 fps, this is 308 after all. Last loads I tried were with Varget and H335 well bellow max allowed.

Could this be so called pores or micro pits? Although they very big for micro, no need for mag glass or microscope to see them, could this be defective metal used for barrel, such as the metal is to porous? I could also try KG 12 see if I can get cooper out of them if there are any.

Last edited:
Have you used an ammonia based solvent in the bore? The pitting looks suspisciously like what is seen after an ammonia based bore solvent has been left to soak too long, which is pitting caused by the ammonia leaching the carbon from the barrel steel. If this is the cause of this you can see how the rifle shoots and if accuracy has diminished so that you aren't satisfied you will need a new barrel.

Ammonia, nope I tried to stay away from it, so I used boretech eliminator at first, then switched to KG products KG-1, KG-2, KG-3, KG-12... Accuracy it did diminished, before I had no problem to keep 0.3 and bellow, now its hard to get 1/2 " out of it but it still bellow 1".

I'll be the first who's bore got dissolved by KG-12 :cool:

Finished reading Application steps for KG-12 "As last step always use KG-4 to protect your firearm from pitting" Wow Pitting! Never used KG-4 its gun oil from KG I usually apply croil it sort of cleans & lubricates, I didn't think I'll get pits.

By the way finished J&B on it it looks the same as before: Pits...

Last edited:
Jinx-) ........... That's the pitts! Pun intended.

You may have to switch your moniker to Jinx-( :)

Sorry to hear but good to know.......

More like Jinxed :cool: but its taken... story of my life... Anyhow, I will try Tubb's final finish, why not... Barrel is under liftime warranty from, TC hope it covers pitts, I did follow the instruction, never used ammonia, since I was warned not to... I'll give it a try, here is last target I shot 2 days ago from it as you can see more fliers and bullet spread.
ldevelopm.jpg

I think I can still use it to diminish local white-tail population up to 500 yards, but will not use it for longer shots...

Last edited:
I think it could be a residue after using the KG-12.
I had the same thing happen to my barrel after using it.
Run some wet patches with boretech eliminator and then try using some bore tech eliminator with a nylon brush. Run it through about 10 times then a few patches with boretech. Let it sit for aobut 10-15 mins and then run a few dry patches through and see if it goes away.

Worked for me.,

Thank you all for all the suggestions, I will take to the range sometimes this week or next see how it goes, for now I will stay away from Tubb's, I will try boretech again after I'm done shooting.

I recently got some KG products (KG-1 and KG-12) to see if they cleaned any better than BTE. In my experience, they did not. The KG-1 removed both powder and copper fairly well and after a few patches of that I switched to the KG-12 which removed more copper (brown patches) and then stopped removing copper - all yellow patches - same color coming out as going in. Then to check, i ran some BTE through the barrel and got a lot more copper out. That was my experience.

As for the stuff in bore, it looks like some sort of residue or oxidation. I hope you get it figured out and keep us posted.

-Mark

Got back from the range, and cleaned my rifle last night, the stuff still visible, I think it has to do with how bullets rub on the sides of 5R barrel

70908433.jpg

as far as accuracy, end up shooting 300 yards, riffle keeps 0.5 MOA I had one group 0.28 MOA well it works for me, just wish there were more 0.2 then 0.5 gun).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.