What's in the barrel

First time I have seen this thread but---CLEAN THE TUBE!

Not hard just get some Iosso Paste and a Iosso brush and follow the directions.

Not to make anyone mad but without a borescope you are in the weeds on things like this. Just use the Iosso and get it clean down to the metal while removing the carbon ring then go shoot it.

Rifles that well meaning people think that are "shot out" are just polluted to death.

all my brushes are Proof Positive from BoreTech, I never use bronze brushes in my rifles, I will clean it, it just not what I was anticipating as return from TC gunsmiths... Iosso, never used it, I have selection of KG products, I will use KG-1 and KG-2 to get shine again, this is just very heavy copper fouling, looks like someone had fun with it...

To put this to bed-----do you know who Speedy Gonzalez is? If so and you agree to do what he says I will show him this thread tomorrow with the pics. Am leaving at 4 am tomorrow to drive up there---I think you are wasting your time on the path you are on.

Let me know soon because I am hitting the rack early tonight!

Boss Hoss, are you talking about Speedy Gonzales the gunsmith, then yes I've heard about him, he is gunsmithing instructor at Trinidad State Junior College. If you think he can help, I would really appreciate your offer.

Will be discussing it with him tomorrow after a 10 hour drive.

I am with Speedy now and he thinks it could be a copper oxide problem and depending on how bad it may be the tube could be toast. He suggested sending the barrelled action to him in Trinidad and he will scope it, take pictures and tell you for certian what is going on but it may have rust under there.

He will know what is going on with it.

Send to:

Trinidad State Junior College
Brownells-Trinidad American Firearms Gunshop
Attn: Speedy Gonzalez
600 Prospect St.
Trinidad, Colorado 81082

719-846-5000 Shop Number

Thank you Boss Hoss, for all the help and trouble I might caused you. I will consider this option of sending my rifle to Speedy Gonzales. By the way I cleaned all that copper fouling and took my rifle to the range, where I fired total of 20 rounds, all groups stayed under 1 MOA averaging 0.8" at 100 yards, it still shoots and those monkeys at the repair shop didn't burn it. Here is what barrel usually looks like after 20 shots fired, I just ran cotton patch with carbon remover so if fouling exist they would be visible:
tc3v.jpg
tc4u.jpg
tc5g.jpg

Last edited:
after I applied KG-1, KG-2 and flushed everything with KG-3 once again the mystery what's in the barrel appeared
tc6v.jpg

the mystery is finally over, got package from TC today, they replaced the whole rifle, they send me new one, in the letter they stated that the old one was beyond repair, whatever it is I'm glad it is over. Just wish they would specify what was wrong with it. Well I'll take this one to the range, I think I should break in or maybe not... What's your call?

Maybe a bad lot of steel for the barrel causing pitting, or a bad barrel manf process during rifling that made it past tech?

Could be more options than that. Wonder if you'll get a reply from Customer Service...or call to find out who in Quality management at TC will talk to you?

Matt

WOW that really says something about TC. I mean they really came through for you, even after you clowned on them.. I tend to agree with Fitch but it seems that TC must have found something wrong on their part.. For them to replace a MOA rifle is pretty huge IMHO. Try that with a rem customer service rep.. They would laugh in your face.. Congrats on the new stick I am sure it will shoot great. And YES I would break it in properly.

WOW that really says something about TC. I mean they really came through for you, even after you clowned on them.. I tend to agree with Fitch but it seems that TC must have found something wrong on their part.. For them to replace a MOA rifle is pretty huge IMHO. Try that with a rem customer service rep.. They would laugh in your face.. Congrats on the new stick I am sure it will shoot great. And YES I would break it in properly.
+1 on that

Looks like pitting in the grooves. Lands are clean. You need to take it to a smith or anyone with a bore scope to be certain. Then you will know how to attack the problem. If pitting is confined to the grooves, it may not affect accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts