What is the verdict on this barrel?

Tideslow, I'm sure that you already know this and I probably sound like Captain Obvious by saying this but if you are shooting your regular handloaded ammo off of a squeaky clean barrel, it's highly possible that you would build more pressure for the first 2-3 rounds or more and get ejector marks. This may not be your problem at all but I thought that I would throw it out there just in case.
Well, its something I wouldnt say I know, but have thought about it, and wondered. It makes sense. I am aware that copper foiling at reasonable levels is a good thing, and lubricates a bore.
The maroon scotch brire pads, J dont recall having seen in stores. Is it commonly carried in stores?
Im gonna Dr this barrel up the best I can, and see what I can still get out of it, and keep an eye on it. I suppose a guy can over mitigate the problems as well, but hopefully I learn some stuff on this barrel, and get considerably more out of the next. I may go to a single base powder as well. Ill do another "roaster" chambering when the time
comes, and manage it much better.
I appreciate your input and help with this.
Thanks

I'm not sure where you can buy the maroon scotch bright bright. They come in pads and also in big dispenser rolls in a box. I would guess that an auto parts, auto body ,Fastenal, Grainger or any industrial supply would have them. All of the industrial sites I've worked at had some form of the maroon scotch bright. It's possible Lowe's or home Depot may even have it.

I've use the maroon scotch bright pad in a throat and I would not do it again, the JB or KG2 on a tight patch get the whole bore not just the tops of the lands, I use scotch bright daily at work and it's weakness is tight places and corners.

I am a long time 7 STW shooter. In my early days I shot rounds too close together and fire cracking and throat erosion soon raised their ugly head. Luckily, I had a good friend who taught me to use JB bore paste. Though the rifle was mistreated the first 400 rds, the rifle went back to shooting 1/2 moa til I pulled the barrel @ 1,130 round count.

My current 7stw is treated considerately better, as I've used JB to keep control of fire cracking for last 4 years. I'm at 455 rds.

Fire cracking and lands erosion are common with overbore magnums, but it's increased by shooting til barrel is too hot to handle. Because, as hunting rifles, we're most interested in cold bore shots, therefore we should be letting barrel cool to ambient temps between shots.

Barrel life of a properly cared for STW exceeds all my friend's RUMs & Nosler 7 mm's. A properly maintained 30 cal beats all the above.

I believe the 7 STW is a great hunting rifle and I will always have one (my current will certainly outlast me).

Built my son a 300wm, with Rhian's reamer from JGS , and his STW is now a safe queens. LOL

dok7mm, how do you use the JB? I am also learning a lot from this thread. Do you use mostly in the throat are Throat and Bore also. Just trying to learn some folks processes. Thanks!

I am a long time 7 STW shooter. In my early days I shot rounds too close together and fire cracking and throat erosion soon raised their ugly head. Luckily, I had a good friend who taught me to use JB bore paste. Though the rifle was mistreated the first 400 rds, the rifle went back to shooting 1/2 moa til I pulled the barrel @ 1,130 round count.

My current 7stw is treated considerately better, as I've used JB to keep control of fire cracking for last 4 years. I'm at 455 rds.

Fire cracking and lands erosion are common with overbore magnums, but it's increased by shooting til barrel is too hot to handle. Because, as hunting rifles, we're most interested in cold bore shots, therefore we should be letting barrel cool to ambient temps between shots.

Barrel life of a properly cared for STW exceeds all my friend's RUMs & Nosler 7 mm's. A properly maintained 30 cal beats all the above.

I believe the 7 STW is a great hunting rifle and I will always have one (my current will certainly outlast me).

Built my son a 300wm, with Rhian's reamer from JGS , and his STW is now a safe queens. LOL
Thanks, its clear to see that it can be managed. I'll most likely have another STW, when that time comes, as Im well invested in the cartridge.
I was always of the opinion thst JB was to be used as a last effort. Didnt realize its used as a periodic maintenance program.

I use JB Paste when I want to remove a lot of copper.I've never seen any of my rifles shoot worse afterwards ,only better if there is no change at all.This is before and after
7maglr.jpg
JB Paste
copper.jpg

I love maroon scotchbrite pads. I shine up the tenons, threads and chambers when I'm done. Also barrels and brakes if I want them shiny and not going to cerakote. Great to have on hand. That said, Ive never pushed them thru the bore.

I use JB Paste when I want to remove a lot of copper.I've never seen any of my rifles shoot worse afterwards ,only better if there is no change at all.This is before and after View attachment 179572JB PasteView attachment 179571
About how often are you using Tubbs, and JB paste? Are you basing that schedule on visual inspecting, or after certain number of rounds fired?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.