Whats causing these bad groups?

I got my hands on a accustock with the full aluminum bedding block for cheap. It will need the barrel channel opened up but other than that Ill just bed the action into that stock and see what happens.

What are you doing with 7828 ?

load some 4350. Load some once fired full length brass fired in this rifle - std lg rifle primers. back down max load 5% and use about 165gr std bullets, flat base if you have them.
Shoot 3 shots 100yds and 4 to 7X scope without moving stock off your shoulder from a solid base and hold stock tight to shoulder.
Stand in rack with bolt open to let it cool before next group.
Another test is let another rifleman shoot 3 shots.
If all that fails - trade it.
Let us know how it works out.
Already done that with 154g Spire points and 4350. No good

What are you doing with 7828 ?

load some 4350. Load some once fired full length brass fired in this rifle - std lg rifle primers. back down max load 5% and use about 165gr std bullets, flat base if you have them.
Shoot 3 shots 100yds and 4 to 7X scope without moving stock off your shoulder from a solid base and hold stock tight to shoulder.
Stand in rack with bolt open to let it cool before next group.
Another test is let another rifleman shoot 3 shots.
If all that fails - trade it.
Let us know how it works out.
Don't trade it please! Send it back to manufacturer. Nothing worse than passing on a major problem to another innocent shooter. If the factory doesn't stand behind it put it up on the mantle or burn it as OP stated...recover part of the loss by selling the action

Ive got a 280ai in the savage ultralite that im about to pull my hair out over. I cant get it to groups consistently. It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)
The gun has approximately 300 rounds through it and heres what ive tried.

- 4 types of powder, 3 types of bullets, 2 primers and 2 headstamp brass
- Completely broke the gun apart and re assembled
- changed scopes
- open barrel channel up more
- different tq specs on action screws

With this all being said I can take 3 3shot groups and one of them will have a terrible group that's normally vertically spread. Im not running the barrel hot and the bad groups will sometimes be on a fresh cold barrel and sometimes not.

Also keep in mind that i have 3 other ultralites that I will shoot in between barrel cooling, off of the same bench with the same bags and I do not get this problem with the other ultralites.

Im thinking either something with the gun/barrel is messed up or that its time to buy a different stock?

Pics attached are 3 groups with 7828 and 3 groups with r23. All variables were the same and as you see i had a bad group with each load
** you gotta decipher through the lines and X marks but there is 3 3shot groups on each pic. The X marked holes where previous shots from another rifle.
Cookie, I have a Savage High Country which wasn't shooting as good as I wanted, so I ended up putting serious torque on the action screws to get it to behave. I am at 60 in lbs and it is shooting around ½ moa at 200 yds, if I do my part. An odd occurrence, when action screws were at 55 in lbs, the rifle had the same POI as all of the other loads at various torque ratings, when I hit 60 in lbs I had a 1 minute shift to the left. The rifle printed all loads to the "new" POI with the new stock torque and the groups were smaller. Hope this helps.

Cookie, I have a Savage High Country which wasn't shooting as good as I wanted, so I ended up putting serious torque on the action screws to get it to behave. I am at 60 in lbs and it is shooting around ½ moa at 200 yds, if I do my part. An odd occurrence, when action screws were at 55 in lbs, the rifle had the same POI as all of the other loads at various torque ratings, when I hit 60 in lbs I had a 1 minute shift to the left. The rifle printed all loads to the "new" POI with the new stock torque and the groups were smaller. Hope this helps.
I haven't tried going that heavy since it doest have pillers or bedding but I will sure try it. Thanks

Ive got a 280ai in the savage ultralite that im about to pull my hair out over. I cant get it to groups consistently. It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)
The gun has approximately 300 rounds through it and heres what ive tried.

- 4 types of powder, 3 types of bullets, 2 primers and 2 headstamp brass
- Completely broke the gun apart and re assembled
- changed scopes
- open barrel channel up more
- different tq specs on action screws

With this all being said I can take 3 3shot groups and one of them will have a terrible group that's normally vertically spread. Im not running the barrel hot and the bad groups will sometimes be on a fresh cold barrel and sometimes not.

Also keep in mind that i have 3 other ultralites that I will shoot in between barrel cooling, off of the same bench with the same bags and I do not get this problem with the other ultralites.

Im thinking either something with the gun/barrel is messed up or that its time to buy a different stock?

Pics attached are 3 groups with 7828 and 3 groups with r23. All variables were the same and as you see i had a bad group with each load
** you gotta decipher through the lines and X marks but there is 3 3shot groups on each pic. The X marked holes where previous shots from another rifle.
Have you tried shooting groups via single feeding the ammo? Not using the internal magazine. I had an instance where recoil was driving bullets further into the case while in the magazine. This made quite a difference in grouping. I had to start annealing the case necks of the brass I had, then I found that federal brass was harder and didn't require annealing til after 4 reloadings. I also agree with the suggestion of the 4350.

Have you tried shooting groups via single feeding the ammo? Not using the internal magazine. I had an instance where recoil was driving bullets further into the case while in the magazine. This made quite a difference in grouping. I had to start annealing the case necks of the brass I had, then I found that federal brass was harder and didn't require annealing til after 4 reloadings. I also agree with the suggestion of the 4350.
Thats the only way i feed them from the bench. Ive tried Hornady and Nosler brass. H4831SC, 4350, R23, R26 and 7828ssc. Also tried 210M and 215M and Berger 168vld, 175eol, 168CH , 150Ch and 154 Hornady. Nothing stops it as far as components go. Its definitely in the barreled action or the stock. Going to start with the stock first. If that doesnt work its going back to Savage.

I have an older Savage stock, came off of a 116 in 7mm Rem, it's bottom bolt release, so not that old. If you want to play with it instead of fooling with your factory stock.

I have an older Savage stock, came off of a 116 in 7mm Rem, it's bottom bolt release, so not that old. If you want to play with it instead of fooling with your factory stock.
I actually bought one just like that from a guy yesterday with the aluminum bedding block. Im going to see what happens. Thanks for the offer

I actually bought one just like that from a guy yesterday with the aluminum bedding block. Im going to see what happens. Thanks for the offer
I'd still put some glass around the recoil lug to see if that helps. Even though the bedding blocks make a solid platform, there's still possibly some wiggle room. Seems there's a lot of guys sticking carbon or aluminum arrows in the stock, lengthwise, with epoxy to stiffen them up too. I haven't tried it.

I'd still put some glass around the recoil lug to see if that helps. Even though the bedding blocks make a solid platform, there's still possibly some wiggle room. Seems there's a lot of guys sticking carbon or aluminum arrows in the stock, lengthwise, with epoxy to stiffen them up too. I haven't tried it.
Its getting a full bed job before it even goes to the range