Brass...whats good and whats bad?

Bigeclipse

All,
I like to reload for accuracy but not extreme accuracy. Basically, I try to work up loads simply that are sub 1MOA for my rifles since we only shoot to 400 yards and then call it good. Everyone always states Lapua brass is best but it is also quite expensive and often you must purchase it in 100 round counts. For me, 50 pieces of brass is plenty. My process is I work up a load with the 50 pieces of brass also once firing them in the rifle. I then full size resize them and confirm load is still good OR I tweak if resizing effected the load. I then will load all 50 rounds to those specs. These 50 rounds will last quite some time since we do not do a ton of shooting...basically confirm zero prior to hunting season (typically 2-3 shots) and then a couple shots during hunting season. This will usually last us 5-10 years. Again, not looking for extreme accuracy, just sub 1MOA. So for this type application, would you still stick with Lapua brass or is it maybe not worth it? What other types of brass do you like? Thanks!

Maybe you could pick up some range brass and do an experiment? I don't yet shoot and reload well enough to tell the difference. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

I have had recent good luck with adg. And will continue to buy it until something better comes out.

Yes Lapau is expensive initially, but the number of times it can be reloaded pays for itself in the long run. Another favorite of mine is Winchester provided it is available in your caliber.

I am now experimenting with Bertram brass in my 6.5 SAUM since Hornady brass is junk. When ADG comes out with it, I will give it a try also.

Consistency makes for "better" brass...not having to cull as many in a lot.

But a lot of guys like Lapua because it can be run at higher pressures and it'll last longer.

I've used about all of them and for a hunting rifle I can't tell much difference in accuracy between any of them. And I don't ever load them enough to worry about what will last longer either. 4-5 firings on a case is plenty for me and then I'll buy new of whatever brand I can find on sale.

Again, not looking for extreme accuracy, just sub 1MOA. So for this type application, would you still stick with Lapua brass or is it maybe not worth it? What other types of brass do you like? Thanks!

Please excuse my candor but all brass can achieve sub 1 MOA with a consistent reloading process throughout.

I load pretty much the same way as the OP. IMO, if a guy wants to save money, just buy a box of factory ammo and it'll probably last for years if your just hunting with it. I like good brass like Lapua because the primer pockets don't crap out as fast, just when I'm figuring something out. I probably have well over 30 reloads on some 6.5x47 brass that I've only annealed once. I can't kill the stuff. Heck, a box of 100 will last the life of the barrel. Seems relatively economical to me. I'd say, if you shoot loads that really don't push things, just buy any old brass. If your testing or regular loads push higher pressures, use good stout brass or your primer pockets will loosen up before the rest of the brass degraded to a point that it must be discarded.

How do you guys rate Norma vs Lapua Brass?
If I can't get lapua, I'll get Norma. I don't feel handicapped whatsoever doing so. I have a 100 Norma brass in 6.5 creed, I'm still on my first 50 with out a hint of changing, I'm on 8 firings.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.