Whats causing these bad groups?

Cookie114

Ive got a 280ai in the savage ultralite that im about to pull my hair out over. I cant get it to groups consistently. It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)
The gun has approximately 300 rounds through it and heres what ive tried.

- 4 types of powder, 3 types of bullets, 2 primers and 2 headstamp brass
- Completely broke the gun apart and re assembled
- changed scopes
- open barrel channel up more
- different tq specs on action screws

With this all being said I can take 3 3shot groups and one of them will have a terrible group that's normally vertically spread. Im not running the barrel hot and the bad groups will sometimes be on a fresh cold barrel and sometimes not.

Also keep in mind that i have 3 other ultralites that I will shoot in between barrel cooling, off of the same bench with the same bags and I do not get this problem with the other ultralites.

Im thinking either something with the gun/barrel is messed up or that its time to buy a different stock?

Pics attached are 3 groups with 7828 and 3 groups with r23. All variables were the same and as you see i had a bad group with each load
** you gotta decipher through the lines and X marks but there is 3 3shot groups on each pic. The X marked holes where previous shots from another rifle.

Attachments

• 20220305_073021.jpg
    20220305_073021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 351
  • 20220305_072914.jpg
    20220305_072914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)
When I had this happen in a MarkX Mauser it was a stock issue. I had a wandering zero which really help me diagnose it as a stock issue. It would group a 1/4", and then shift to 2" or greater. Then group a small group again but at a different point of aim/ point of impact. I'd google Savage action screw tuning. They have a particular manner to adjust/ tune the action screws. Also check clearance on rear pillar, I think it can contact a trigger adjustment nut. After that consider bedding.

When I had this happen in a MarkX Mauser it was a stock issue. I had a wandering zero which really help me diagnose it as a stock issue. It would group a 1/4", and then shift to 2" or greater. Then group a small group again but at a different point of aim/ point of impact. I'd google Savage action screw tuning. They have a particular manner to adjust/ tune the action screws. Also check clearance on rear pillar, I think it can contact a trigger adjustment nut. After that consider bedding.
I have played with different tq specs on it with no changes good or bad. I havent checked the trigger screw clearance but I will. I think I may just buy and Boyd's laminated stock and bed it. If that doesnt fix it I guess ill burn it

I have played with different tq specs on it with no changes good or bad. I havent checked the trigger screw clearance but I will. I think I may just buy and Boyd's laminated stock and bed it. If that doesnt fix it I guess ill burn it
That will likely be your fix, unless the barrel or action are bad.

Dont forget Bell & Carlson….very stiff:

Factory stock, is it tupperware? With aluminum bedding block or no? First thing I'd be looking at. I'll assume that this isn't a more basic issue (inconsistent cheek weld + parallax not dialed correctly) since some of those groups are super tight.

Factory stock, is it tupperware? With aluminum bedding block or no? First thing I'd be looking at. I'll assume that this isn't a more basic issue (inconsistent cheek weld + parallax not dialed correctly) since some of those groups are super tight.
Tupperware, no pillers. My others are the same without any issues. But doesn't mean thats not the issue with this particular rifle.

Boyd's laminated stocks may take your rifle completely out of the ultralight category.

You can bed a tuperware stock as I have done it.Took a 3/4 inch to one inch rifle down to 1/2 inch at 100 yards consistently.
That being said it will always be a tuperware stock no matter what you do so I bought a Boyds stock and bedded it and it now shoots great.
Not a lot heavier than tuperware stock.

What are you doing with 7828 ?

load some 4350. Load some once fired full length brass fired in this rifle - std lg rifle primers. back down max load 5% and use about 165gr std bullets, flat base if you have them.
Shoot 3 shots 100yds and 4 to 7X scope without moving stock off your shoulder from a solid base and hold stock tight to shoulder.
Stand in rack with bolt open to let it cool before next group.
Another test is let another rifleman shoot 3 shots.
If all that fails - trade it.
Let us know how it works out.