What what powder do you switch to because alliant has shut down manufacturing

I've said it in previous posts. I am only a minnow in this pond. There are plenty of big fish here.

Very true. A few years ago I was running low and asked a smith I deal with if he'd part with some. He said he'd prefer not to but would if things got desperate.

He supports a few ELR teams and I asked him how much he had and he stated 8 pounds jugs of H1K were stacked on a pallet in an AC'd storage unit...;)

Very true. A few years ago I was running low and asked a smith I deal with if he'd part with some. He said he'd prefer not to but would if things got desperate.

He supports a few ELR teams and I asked him how much he had and he stated 8 pounds jugs of H1K were stacked on a pallet in an AC'd storage unit...;)
Only got a little of that
image.jpg

Well, I'm not one to have many Alliant powders other that RL-15 and RL-22. I cut my teeth reloading with all the IMR stuff, which is more than a little "been there done that" but many of them really work for me, temperature extremes be dammed. Only things I'm after now is some Varget and H-1000. I'm saving my pee to start making my own nitrocellulose. Now, if I could only get the senior household executive to let me keep it in the fridge.

"Nitrocellulose, also known as cellulose nitrate, is a compound derived from cellulose through a process called nitration, which involves treating cellulose with nitric acid or a mixture of nitric acid with other acids like sulfuric and hydrochloric acid. Cellulose, obtained from purified sources such as cotton linters or wood pulp, serves as the precursor for nitrocellulose production. One of the defining characteristics of nitrocellulose is its highly flammable nature, making it a valuable component in various applications requiring explosive or combustible properties. It finds extensive use in rockets, propellants, explosives, and other pyrotechnic applications due to its rapid combustion and energy release properties."

"The properties of nitrocellulose can vary based on several factors including the source of cellulose, the duration of the nitration reaction, and the ratio of acid to cellulose used during the process. These variations in manufacturing parameters yield nitrocellulose with differing characteristics suited for specific applications. Apart from its role in explosives and pyrotechnics, the nitrocellulose market also finds utility in other fields. It can be employed in the production of plastic films, where its film-forming properties are beneficial, and in printing inks, where it serves as a binder and provides adhesion to surfaces. "

Asia & Pacific, including China, almost 50% of production.

Look for expanding production in USA like ball powders. Anybody bought R-S Grand from Graf's yet?

After WWII huge stocks of extruded powders, nitrocellulose source, were dissolved and reconstituted into ball powders, like H380. Imagine 20 or so tons of powder instead of a small collection of black plastic jugs & bottles.

Last edited: