What twist?

That what I was told a long time ago, to keep it under 4000fps also. So I pushed 55grs @ 3900fps. I felt the 55grs did a better job. I wasn't going to eat anything I was shooting with that rifle. I used it for shooting ground squirrels. It sharpen the eye up and make you a better shot. The farmer loved it and we did too.

Um, because I didn't know they existed. And there's a bunch of really smart people on this site who know about a thousand times more than me.

Just a note, the Bullet Stability Calculators are designed around lead core bullets, which typically have a different center of mass vs a pure lead bullet. So while the Calculators have proven very accurate for lead core, in my experience they don't consistently work for copper bullets.

Personally I have found Hammer's twist recommendations to be the bare minimum (I shoot at sea level) and have had instability with several of them. I have seen zero negative consequences from shooting faster twist barrels with either Hammer's (for Hunting) or Bergers (for target). So now I decide on a caliber and barrel manufacturer and simply order the fastest twist they make. It makes the decision process very simple.

Just a note, the Bullet Stability Calculators are designed around lead core bullets, which typically have a different center of mass vs a pure lead bullet. So while the Calculators have proven very accurate for lead core, in my experience they don't consistently work for copper bullets.

Personally I have found Hammer's twist recommendations to be the bare minimum (I shoot at sea level) and have had instability with several of them. I have seen zero negative consequences from shooting faster twist barrels with either Hammer's (for Hunting) or Bergers (for target). So now I decide on a caliber and barrel manufacturer and simply order the fastest twist they make. It makes the decision process very simple.
I find that interesting on the twist rate.

tdot you do right, using the fasted twist for the caliber means you can use the the full range of bullet weights for the chosen caliber and it keeps life simple.

tdot you do right, using the fasted twist for the caliber means you can use the the full range of bullet weights for the chosen caliber and it keeps life simple.
I do believe that faster twist impacts the chamber pressure at the same time. Bartlein makes a progress twist barrel. I looked at it last year. The long range shooter that shoot at matches use a straight twist so I drop that line of thinking. .

Unless one uses Hammer Bullets.
Ultra high velocities cause eruptions on skin contact that blow lumps of flesh off the animal and does not have the penetration needed to dispense the animal cleanly and painlessly.The explanation is there on the internet with a bit of searching.

Ultra high velocities cause eruptions on skin contact that blow lumps of flesh off the animal and does not have the penetration needed to dispense the animal cleanly and painlessly.The explanation is there on the internet with a bit of searching.
Not the case with Hammers

Sorry, Charlie. That does not happen with Hammer Bullets.
There is lots of info on the 'net if you want to accept the new facts.

Best to slow the Swift down to sub 4000 velocities if you use for hunting as impact on animals does not have the desired results with super high velocities.
Desired results? Have you tried a Swift on game with 4100 fps projectiles? I have taken many fox, wood chuck, ferrule cats, crows and deer all with factory Winchester 48 grain ammo that is running 4100 fps (verified on Magnetospeed) all were 1 shot kills! How are you going to do better by slowing it down? None of the animals I have taken would have died faster, in fact they may have not died as fast with less of a wound cavity. Which I will agree is an issue if you want less damage to pelts, I never really cared about that. I don't mean to offend anyone, I have not had any bad experiences with the swift at full speed. My Nephew used a 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip 223 WSSM (3950 fps) on a boar hog, hitting it in the shoulder, it did not penatrate the lung, but did kill it. I'm sure a heavier bullet would have done better in this case, but so would better shot placement.

Personally I have found Hammer's twist recommendations to be the bare minimum (I shoot at sea level) and have had instability with several of them. I have seen zero negative consequences from shooting faster twist barrels with either Hammer's (for Hunting) or Bergers (for target). So now I decide on a caliber and barrel manufacturer and simply order the fastest twist they make. It makes the decision process very
I recently worked up a 1 hole group with 116's out of a 270 wsm. Fine at 300, disappeared at 600. Is this something you noticed that you contribute to borderline barrel twist? Not that it matters on that particular rifle is nothing gets shot past 200. I was just dinking around but I was perplexed. In my 7 twist 22creed the 75's we're very obvious at 100