What twist?

Looks like I'm about ready to order my barrel. I'm going with a Hart barrel in 416 stainless, 25" finished length in a 1-7 twist, Remington 700 magnum sporter contour, double diamond fluting, and finished in black teflon coating. $510 for the barrel, and I'll send him my rifle so they can fit and install there. There is a possibility I may have it back in time for my deer hunt in UP, Michigan on November 15. Cool.

First of I'm against over rpm'ing bullets. The faster the twist rate the more resistance to the bullet traveling down the barrel. So you get higher pressure and decreased velocity.

The other fact is that higher velocity decreases the need for low number twist rates. Example a 16 inch barrel .223 can shoot a 55 grain bullet fine. Take the same bullets and put them in a 20 inch barrel and they fly through the paper sideways at 100 yards because of the velocity increase.

Shilen sells a 27 inch 9:1 257 barrel or at least they used to. That works very well for my buddies 06 and 115 Bergers. The 121 is longer, but might work fine going faster.
I find that interesting. I use a 220 swift with 55gr Sierra bullets. I push them down the tube @ 3900fps. I put a 5 shot group @ 100yds in almost one hole. If I remember correctly the AR-15A1 was a 1 in 7 twist that we used in Vietnam. No real problems with accuracies there either.

The best way to do its to look at a twist rate chart for the caliber you want and choose the twist rate that gives you the choice of the full range of bullet weights for that caliber.

I find that interesting. I use a 220 swift with 55gr Sierra bullets. I push them down the tube @ 3900fps. I put a 5 shot group @ 100yds in almost one hole. If I remember correctly the AR-15A1 was a 1 in 7 twist that we used in Vietnam. No real problems with accuracies there either.
The first M16's in Vietnam had a 1:14 twist, just as the Winchester model 70 220 Swift had for many years for it's 48 grain ammo. The M16-A1 had 1:12 twist, they were meant to fire 55 grain FMJ ball. Remington 22-250's had the 1:12 twist also for 55 grain ammo.
The 1:7 twist came along much later for 62 grain M855 green tip (SS-109 projectile) ammo, and don't usually shoot good groups with 55 grain loads.
Generally heavier bullets need faster twist rates, however it's really because they are longer. Now we see high ballistic coefficient bullets that are very long for their caliber and sometimes weight, that need faster twist rates to stabilize.

Most of my use of a M-16A1 and CAR-15 the range was under 100yds. Not very often we would make contact in open rice pad areas. We were lucky to see more than 50yds most of the them. Never had a chance to shoot for groups at different ranges. Lucky to just get them sighted in @ 25yds. I stand corrected on the twist rate. All we had was 55gr FMJ ammo for the M16. One thing for sure the M16 was a hell of a lot lighter than the M14 we started out with in basic training. On the range we punch paper at 25 meters. After that it was popups out to 400 meters. During medic training we use the M-16E1 for a day it may have been two days but no more.

Most of my use of a M-16A1 and CAR-15 the range was under 100yds. Not very often we would make contact in open rice pad areas. We were lucky to see more than 50yds most of the them. Never had a chance to shoot for groups at different ranges. Lucky to just get them sighted in @ 25yds. I stand corrected on the twist rate. All we had was 55gr FMJ ammo for the M16. One thing for sure the M16 was a hell of a lot lighter than the M14 we started out with in basic training. On the range we punch paper at 25 meters. After that it was popups out to 400 meters. During medic training we use the M-16E1 for a day it may have been two days but no more.
Thank you for your service!
Do you still have your 220 Swift?
What make and model?
I grew up with my Dads M70, years later bought exactly the same model at Cabelas gun library.

Thank you for your service!
Do you still have your 220 Swift?
What make and model?
I grew up with my Dads M70, years later bought exactly the same model at Cabelas gun library.
Yes I still have the M-98 action with heavy barrel. It's been shorten once and is about 24 1/2" for barrel length now. A man name Fred Brush got me interest in the 220 swift. He had about everything from 218 bee on up to 220 Swift. All the old calibers and all in excellent shape. I use to marvel at his rifles. Anyway my brother and I got a Win Mod-56 or 52 can't remember the model no. Ruger was coming out with there 220 swift about that time. We order them. One day I was in the gun shop, and one of the owner showed me the 98M in left hand bench rifle, and I am left hand. I think I paid $200.00 for the rifle. It will go to my youngest son when I pass on. My oldest son have one I had built in Rem 700 action with a 26" heavy barrel.

Yes I still have the M-98 action with heavy barrel. It's been shorten once and is about 24 1/2" for barrel length now. A man name Fred Brush got me interest in the 220 swift. He had about everything from 218 bee on up to 220 Swift. All the old calibers and all in excellent shape. I use to marvel at his rifles. Anyway my brother and I got a Win Mod-56 or 52 can't remember the model no. Ruger was coming out with there 220 swift about that time. We order them. One day I was in the gun shop, and one of the owner showed me the 98M in left hand bench rifle, and I am left hand. I think I paid $200.00 for the rifle. It will go to my youngest son when I pass on. My oldest son have one I had built in Rem 700 action with a 26" heavy barrel.
My Dad bought his model 70 in 1958, put a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8 on it, and used it for Fox hunting. It was my first center fire rifle. After my Dad passed, my older brother wanted to "borrow" it and it never came back. One Christmas my Wife and I were in Cabelas and found one that was like new so we bought it. Later I found a B&L BV8, but have not put it on. I currently have a Nightforce on, but don't shoot it enough. I did however want to see if the velocity claims Winchester had of 4110 fps were true, because all of the loading manuals pale in comparison. So I fired 5 rounds of original Winchester 1960's ammo over my Magnetospeed and found they were running 4090 - 4100 fps! And they group well too! Now days I shoot my Desert Tech SRS-A1, currently in 6.5 PRC most, but the Swift is special to me.

My Dad bought his model 70 in 1958, put a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8 on it, and used it for Fox hunting. It was my first center fire rifle. After my Dad passed, my older brother wanted to "borrow" it and it never came back. One Christmas my Wife and I were in Cabelas and found one that was like new so we bought it. Later I found a B&L BV8, but have not put it on. I currently have a Nightforce on, but don't shoot it enough. I did however want to see if the velocity claims Winchester had of 4110 fps were true, because all of the loading manuals pale in comparison. So I fired 5 rounds of original Winchester 1960's ammo over my Magnetospeed and found they were running 4090 - 4100 fps! And they group well too! Now days I shoot my Desert Tech SRS-A1, currently in 6.5 PRC most, but the Swift is special to me.
I was told that the 4,000 + velocity tended to burn out barrels so they slowed it down some. I was also told that wasn't true? I have no idea, and I guess I don't care. It's an impressive round anyway way you look at it.