What twist?

No Sir, that's about what the run in my neck of the woods 20-24", the last three Bucks I have taken were all over 200 pounds
I built a switch barrel last year on a Curtis Axiom action 6.5 Prc now too finish my build the next barrel will be a 300 wsm I shoot mainly hammer bullets what would be the fastest twist recommended for hammers I don't lean towards the heavies in any caliber . Also what be the best Hammer bullet recommendation for deer and elk for recommended twist most of all my other 30s have 1-10 or slower

I built a switch barrel last year on a Curtis Axiom action 6.5 Prc now too finish my build the next barrel will be a 300 wsm I shoot mainly hammer bullets what would be the fastest twist recommended for hammers I don't lean towards the heavies in any caliber . Also what be the best Hammer bullet recommendation for deer and elk for recommended twist most of all my other 30s have 1-10 or slower
How far are you shooting animals?

I recently worked up a 1 hole group with 116's out of a 270 wsm. Fine at 300, disappeared at 600. Is this something you noticed that you contribute to borderline barrel twist? Not that it matters on that particular rifle is nothing gets shot past 200. I was just dinking around but I was perplexed. In my 7 twist 22creed the 75's we're very obvious at 100
I've not personally had the same results as what you saw, but it certainly sounds plausible. Maybe someone else can comment. What I witnessed were great groups on paper w/ zero key holes, but oval exits on animals and one animal I couldn't find signs of petals either. One animal was DRT and the other was the only tracking job I've had with a Hammer. The trail was like following a drunk running with an open can of red paint, blood splashed everywhere, never seen anything like it. The bear only made it 70 yards.

It will be interesting to see how he likes the hammers. I had him shooting sirrocos last year, him and his 2 boys all shot decent bucks with the same rifle. He really liked the sirrocos but I was having trouble finding them so I threw 40 together at a pressure load I'd found in a browning rifle and crossed my fingers. Put 3 in a rounded hole at 100 and that was that. I had his boy hold over at 300 and was within a 2" of the bullseye and called it done. I only shot it at 600 out of curiosity and we were using cameras and had a 3'x3' white cardboard with a paper target in the center and couldn't even see hits on cardboard. Granted this was an extremely cheap scope and I was guessing on holdover I think was 52" so I raised up and down a bit but really wasn't worth the bullets to try as they never come close to that distance. Just thought it was weird and maybe twist wasn't quite enough. Was some fairly strong crosswind but didn't have an issue with the other rifles I shot.

Recent Posts