What Tent and sleeping bag combo?

Down is great!...as long as it stays DRY. Once it gets wet, life becomes miserable. Having lived/hunted in western WA, I never bothered with down because it was constantly wet there. Now in Idaho, you'll probably be okay. Probably. As long as it doesn't snow or rain and get your bag wet. I guess what I'm saying is only get a down bag if it comes with a waterproof, breathable (gore tex?) outer shell.

Regardless of what bag you choose, a sleeping bag liner is a must. It gives you an extra 10 degrees of warmth and keeps you from sweating on your sleeping bag (making it...wet!) The one I like is the Cocoon Merino Wool Mummy Liner from REI. Too expensive? Then get one of the many silk liners out there. Both very good. Gives you some extra security in case it gets colder than you were expecting.

As for tents, I love the advice about getting one with a large vestibule. Very wise people on here.

I am planning a backpack hunt late October Idaho and I am looking for advice on Tents and sleeping bags for cold weather. I am from Florida and get cold extremely easy. I wear a coat or sweatshirt if its not in the 90s. I have been looking at 4 season tents from Nemo and MSR, also looked into Bivy sacks a little. Also sleeping bags I have no idea on, I have been leaning toward synthetic insulation. I am looking for advice on what combination of tent and bag would work best for me. I am sold on the Thermarest insulated pad. I have a good assortment of cold weather clothing(Sitka, Kuiu, OR) and am planning on sleeping in them also if needed.
I'm from Flo also and am interested in a hunt like that can you tell me the outfit your going with?

I am planning a backpack hunt late October Idaho and I am looking for advice on Tents and sleeping bags for cold weather. I am from Florida and get cold extremely easy. I wear a coat or sweatshirt if its not in the 90s. I have been looking at 4 season tents from Nemo and MSR, also looked into Bivy sacks a little. Also sleeping bags I have no idea on, I have been leaning toward synthetic insulation. I am looking for advice on what combination of tent and bag would work best for me. I am sold on the Thermarest insulated pad. I have a good assortment of cold weather clothing(Sitka, Kuiu, OR) and am planning on sleeping in them also if needed.
For lightweight bags check out Zpacks and Enlightened Equipment. I would stay with treated down for light weight, warmth and packability.

IF you go with a Wiggys 20 deg bag, you'll need a compression sack that is sized appropriately. It will be about 9" diameter and about 12" long -- COMPRESSED-- is my estimate. It takes some effort to get it this size.

I agree that the heavier Wiggy's bags aren't necesarily small (even with a compression sack.). That said, if warmth and staying dry are the two most important factors (as they are for me), I believe the best you can get is Wiggy's for a sleeping bag system, and Arctic Oven for tents.

Arctic Oven tents will keep you dryer than any tent I've seen. They sell models that are lightweight, and some that will suit an entire arctic expedition. They have models with large vestibules. I own three. I haven't had any problems with this, but if you plan on keeping it up for long periods of time, especially in high altitudes with strong UV rays, I'd recommend getting some Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof to help protect your investment; the lighter the color of fly, the more susceptible it will be to UV deterioration.

Reading the reviews is impressive for both products.

I agree that the heavier Wiggy's bags aren't necesarily small (even with a compression sack.). That said, if warmth and staying dry are the two most important factors (as they are for me), I believe the best you can get is Wiggy's for a sleeping bag system, and Arctic Oven for tents.

Arctic Oven tents will keep you dryer than any tent I've seen. They sell models that are lightweight, and some that will suit an entire arctic expedition. They have models with large vestibules. I own three. I haven't had any problems with this, but if you plan on keeping it up for long periods of time, especially in high altitudes with strong UV rays, I'd recommend getting some Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof to help protect your investment; the lighter the color of fly, the more susceptible it will be to UV deterioration.

Reading the reviews is impressive for both products.
Thanks I will look into the artic oven tents. I am not trying to go super ultralight. If guaranteed to stay warm and dry if it rains or snows cost me an extra 5 lbs thats fine with me.

Thanks I will look into the artic oven tents. I am not trying to go super ultralight. If guaranteed to stay warm and dry if it rains or snows cost me an extra 5 lbs thats fine with me.

Arctic Oven's lightest tent (Quest) is 17.5 lbs without a stove. https://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents/arctic-oven-quest/

They are nice tents (I have had one for 18 years), but not really ideal for one or two hunts in Idaho. They are made for Alaska/Canada Tundra wind/weather and -10 to -50 below, etc. They are overkill for what you are doing. Order a 3+ to 4-season backpacking tent like a Kuiu Mountain Star 2, Kuiu Storm Star 2, or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV Expedition (~3.5-5.5 lbs). These tents a more than enough for Idaho.
https://www.kuiu.com/backpack-hunting-tents/
https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV2-Expedition

I am trying to find a decent deal on the AKTO Hilleberg tent. At 3.7Lbs if feel comfortable with a 4-5Lb bag. I have the KUIU 800 fill down pants and Jacket I am planning on sleeping in, plus liner. Looked at the WM down bags and they are close to 4 lb also. Correct me if I am wrong but if I wear the down garments close to skin a synthetic bag {wiggys or kirafu) would be the right choice if I am not overly concerned with weight or bulk.

Since you said BACKPACK HUNT I'm assuming you need light weight. Best option there for late season in cold would be a Tipi or pyramid tent from Jimmytarps, Seek Outside, or Kifaru. Pair that with a titanium stove and a tyvek ground sheet and your set. with the stove a light weight 0 degree bag will be more than adequate. Get a bag that fits your body size. If it is tight across shoulders or hips then it will be colder in these spots for lack of loft. Happy Hunting :)

I am trying to find a decent deal on the AKTO Hilleberg tent. At 3.7Lbs if feel comfortable with a 4-5Lb bag. I have the KUIU 800 fill down pants and Jacket I am planning on sleeping in, plus liner. Looked at the WM down bags and they are close to 4 lb also. Correct me if I am wrong but if I wear the down garments close to skin a synthetic bag {wiggys or kirafu) would be the right choice if I am not overly concerned with weight or bulk.

I would wear the down pants & jacket over a merino base layer or a separate "sleeping-only base layer" to keep sweat scent down. All of the new down bags (what mountaineers use) have a down waterproofing treatment (Kuiu-Quixdown, Marmot-Down Defender, etc.) which will minimize any lofting/wetness issues. Their 0 Degree F bags are 2.5-3 lbs and compress very well. They are expensive, but will last a lifetime if taken care of. The Marmot Bags are all on sale - they also have -20 & -40 F for the seriously crazy folks. ;)
https://www.marmot.com/lithium-0-sleeping-bag-22300.html
https://www.kuiu.com/shop/sleep-system/sleeping-bags/super-down-sleeping-bag-0/81003.html

I would wear the down pants & jacket over a merino base layer or a separate "sleeping-only base layer" to keep sweat scent down. All of the new down bags (what mountaineers use) have a down waterproofing treatment (Kuiu-Quixdown, Marmot-Down Defender, etc.) which will minimize any lofting/wetness issues. Their 0 Degree F bags are 2.5-3 lbs and compress very well. They are expensive, but will last a lifetime if taken care of. The Marmot Bags are all on sale - they also have -20 & -40 F for the seriously crazy folks. ;)
https://www.marmot.com/lithium-0-sleeping-bag-22300.html
https://www.kuiu.com/shop/sleep-system/sleeping-bags/super-down-sleeping-bag-0/81003.html
Do you have first hand experience with the marmot lithium bag?

Do you have first hand experience with the marmot lithium bag?

I have owned the Marmot Helium for 20+ years. It is the 15 degree F equivalent of the Lithium 0 degree F bag. It still is in perfect condition and has never failed me. I have the EQ version - which has a waterproof treatment on the outer shell. Nowadays, they treat the down with waterproofing (Down Defender) and that is even better. I switched to the Kuiu 15 Degree bag because my kids needed a backpacking bag. I was able to drop ~5 ounces for a new waterproof down bag when I upgraded.

For reference: I have hunted/fished here in Alaska for more than 45 years & used to guide for 10 of them. I backpack year-round - training/hiking 2-4 times a week. I am very hard on equipment and know what equipment holds up well in the nation's largest national rainforest (Tongass). I backpack hunt dall sheep, alpine Sitka blacktail deer, & mountain goat every year. In addition, I hunt brown bear, black bear, moose, caribou, elk, upland birds/grouse/ptarmigan, & waterfowl most years.

I see today is the last day of the sale for Marmot, too.

I agree with you on the acclamation thing. It will probably be in the 80s when I leave Fl. then bamm. I run extremely lean and will have trouble putting on weight while getting ready for this hunt so not sure how to acclimate before hand. I lived in Iowa for 3 yrs and acclamated but that was 10 yrs ago. Never heard of sea salt but I will look into it. You think a bag, bivy and 4 season tent?

A waterproof, breathable top bivy sack increases the warmth of a sleeping bag by at least 10 degrees. Protects the insulation also.
Keeps the spilled soup from getting into the bags insulation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.