What Tent and sleeping bag combo?

Rflamm250

I am planning a backpack hunt late October Idaho and I am looking for advice on Tents and sleeping bags for cold weather. I am from Florida and get cold extremely easy. I wear a coat or sweatshirt if its not in the 90s. I have been looking at 4 season tents from Nemo and MSR, also looked into Bivy sacks a little. Also sleeping bags I have no idea on, I have been leaning toward synthetic insulation. I am looking for advice on what combination of tent and bag would work best for me. I am sold on the Thermarest insulated pad. I have a good assortment of cold weather clothing(Sitka, Kuiu, OR) and am planning on sleeping in them also if needed.

I agree on the therma rest. Get at least a 0 degree bag. I recommend a goose down bag it will be lighter and more compact
I have been leaning towards the synthetic bags mainly because the only experience I have with down is not good. I have the Kuiu down pants and I freeze in 40 degree weather with them over the guide pant and a heavy base layer, if stationary.

MSRs look like a quality tent all though I have no experience with it. I do like Mountain Hardware tents are a solid 4 season tent. Hilleberg tents are also amazing. Stay with a 4 season tent, you can get snow anytime out here in the west. For bags I am all about the down and the best you can get are either Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. I have heard real good things about the Kifaru bag but have never used one, so that might be worth a look it is synthetic.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with down. I've had the opposite. I purchased a UA down jacket last year and am very happy with it.
I also just switched my wifes bag (who is always cold). Went from a 0 degree synthetic bag to a 10 degree down bag.
She used it for the first time this weekend. The temperature was 35 degrees and when I asked her if she stayed warm her comment was Yes and I even sweated a little. If you do look at a down bag go with a minimum of 700 fill and 800 if possible.
Good luck on your trip.

I have been leaning towards the synthetic bags mainly because the only experience I have with down is not good. I have the Kuiu down pants and I freeze in 40 degree weather with them over the guide pant and a heavy base layer, if stationary.

Down should be next to your base layer/long-johns, not on the outside of regular pants. It needs to be closer to your skin. For sleeping bags, nothing beats down for high warmth to weight. When you reach in a good down bag for a minute or two - you can feel your own body heat reflecting back on your hand.

Remember that a 0/zero degree F bag means that you will not die in 0 degree weather, but you will most likely not be comfortable. That being said, I backpack hunt in Interior & Southeast Alaska through October in my Kuiu 15 degree water-resistant (Quixdown) down bag (~ 2 lbs). On the coldest nights (10-20 degrees F) here in Southeast Alaska, I usually put on a lightweight insulated jacket/puffy over my standard base layer to sleep better (like a Kuiu Snapshirt or Ultra Down Jacket). If I hunt in November/December, I break out my 0 degree Marmot Couloir down bag with a water resistant shell (~3 lbs).

Last edited:
You might look at a Kifaru tipi with a stove. Heating the inside of your tent for a while is a real game changer. The Kifaru bag is also very good, and yes, they have a 0 degree bag that is synthetic.

I use marmot down bags. The newer down bags are hydrophobic nearly eliminating their only weakness. If it's warm don't fluff bag after unrolling. Down is more comfortable over wider temperature ranges. If cold natured always wear a warm cap when you sleep (well always really). If your head gets cool your body will send less blood flow to your extremities-cold feet. Your head doesn't have to "feel" cold for this to happen. You loose a lot of heat through head and ears. Seriously, keep your head insulated! Don't go to bed cold: walk around or exercise till warm (not sweaty) before turning in. (Always sleep in dry clothes-better naked than damp clothes) On tents, if you expect to be in rain get one with a generous vestibule to allow covered space to get out of wet outer wear before getting in actual tent. Also allows gear stowage and cook space in rain. I hate tiny tents so make sure big enough for you and gear and room to change clothes or wait out storm without claustrophobia. With the lowered humidity and if at altitude more intense UV light you will be surprised at how much better you will handle the colder temperatures. Lots of Florida boys do great out west.

we kinda like Mt tents with all the fixings for moose season some years when we can pack everything in the wheelers for 20-30 days

Attachments

• 12919850_1268772809805599_8607175121259813728_n.jpg
    12919850_1268772809805599_8607175121259813728_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 140
Personal opinion, Wiggy's bag & ground pad, none will work better! I used to do the same as Jeffrey Van Zandt as far as tarps & no tent, but have for the last several yrs. used a Mountain Hardwear 3 person 4 season tent. It's too heavy for most of the backpacking hunters now days as everyone is gong "ultralight" & i've never gotten into that school. My pack for my back pack hunts weighs 80 lbs. plus not including my light weight hunting rifle of 12 lbs.:(:eek:

The tipi with the light weight wood stove is very nice, especially if you encounter any wet weather and not to bad for cold weather. Can dry things out, heat water, actually warm up. I do recommend getting the liner as they do sweat. Also when using one with a wood stove a 6 person tent is real comfortable with 2 people works with 3 but starts to get a little crowded. Good luck and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts