Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22 creed

• 22 hornet

• 17 hornet

• Total voters
Definitly want to get a 22-250. Don't be stupid like me and get a 1 in 16 twist. That was standard forever. I can't stabilize anything over 55Gr

I have 204 Ruger, 223, 224 Valkyrie and 243 Win.
One buddy and one acquaintance both shoot 20 Vartarg and 19 Calhoun respectively, and they both smoke 'em by the hundreds, though I understand that's out to 400.
I finishing the build on a 6mm Rem AI, and seems the gunsmith who chambered my barrel shoots the same out to 1K. He calls me and asks, "what size neck and how do you want me to throat this?" I replied, "I'm shooting Norma brass and Berger 105's, what do you suggest?" He replied, "that's the same as what I shoot" and then rolled off a bunch of numbers.

Looking for my next rifle and really not sure what way I wanna go. Chucks, bobcats,fox, coyotes, and possibly a wolf. I know range can come in to play but looking for a fun new center fire. Not looking to spend thousand but a nice rifle. Wood or synthetic. I found a savage in triple duce for sale this morning but also really like the cz line of rifles. I have it narrowed down to the choices with in the poll. I currently one a bolt 223 and it's fine shoots great just looking to add to the stable.
6mm/.244. good bullet selection for all your targets.

Go with the regular 22-250. You do not need the AI. Ammo much easier to find and is all you need. You may want to check out the Tikka T3x rifle.

I chose the AI version of my next project rifle's chamber due to the possibility that it will be kinder to the throat, not for more velocity. Were to buy a .22-250 it would be an AI for the same reason.

IMHO!
You already have the best caliber! You are seemingly on a budget? I believe you just want another rifle? In which case get whatever you like. A varmint shooter will shoot several thousand rounds a year. A varmint hunter is similar to a deer, elk, bear hunter, a dozen or so rounds a year. Why not get a different twist to shoot a heavier or lighter round? .223 will do what you ask and is easier on barrels, more availability, less cost etc. My second choice will be as others a 22-250 which again is harder on barrels and thus more expensive on all levels. When I go out I always find a couple .223s a .17 HMR a .22 and a 12ga. in my truck. Just say'n !!

Excluding wolf; the 22-250 is an excellent choice. with the addition of a 1:9 barrel you can go distances that you would not thought of. I personally have taken my 22-250 out to 600 with a 60 grain slug. I have a 1:12" twist and 60 grain is my limit.
there are great 22 calibers for most everything you have stated.
the 22 Middlestead is an excellent choice as well, the 22 creed is in there, 17 Remington (old but very effective), 222 Mag is a good choice, or th 224 weatherby.

Wolf requires a .257" slug or bigger. this comes from experience and a good friend's misfortune. the story is long and I do not have the time to type it out.

The military did a lot of research and testing of many of the cartridges mentioned above to improve the .223/556 and finally selected the 6ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). Supposed to be an efficient, low recoil, barrel friendly, and very accurate round out past 1200 yds. You may want to check out the 6ARC.

Wolf on the list kinda complicated things.
Wolf for me personally would be like coyote or hog. Shoot em with whatever I have in my hand when I got an opportunity. Actively going after wolf or being in an area with good chances of getting a shot at one would pretty much negate all on your list. Just my .02
My bucket list includes a .17 of some sort. 😎