What rifles you guys running for varmint hunting?

Got a new Tikka 22-250 in the rotation now.
Got a decent load with the 65 grain Sierra spbt worked up, shoots pretty good for a light barreled rifle. Drew it's first blood yesterday.
4F74E0A2-08DC-40AF-AEAF-A29B219F24E4.jpeg

Looks good! Looks like a real varmint removal tool - shorty bullpup, good for traveling. The stuff stuck on the scope should send a sober warning to the varmints. Looks like a natural for 87 VMax's.
It loves 75 grain Vmax's, but mostly eats 112 match burners. I also have a 223 barrel for it, which I do a lot of varminting with as well.

Attachments

• 6970-resized.jpg
    6970-resized.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 59
I haven't done a bunch of testing with too many other powders yet. I wanted to get Staball6.5 to work and so far 3 shot groups were 3/4" or slightly less with a maximum charge. I can get the exact charge if you want, I'd have to pull out my notes. I'm very interested to run it over the chrono but haven't had the time. Performance of the Sierra was very good on that big hog.
Gary

I haven't done a bunch of testing with too many other powders yet. I wanted to get Staball6.5 to work and so far 3 shot groups were 3/4" or slightly less with a maximum charge. I can get the exact charge if you want, I'd have to pull out my notes. I'm very interested to run it over the chrono but haven't had the time. Performance of the Sierra was very good on that big hog.
Gary
Gary -

Howdy !

If not hijacking the post, I'd be interested to know the charge wt, and obtained vel per the barrel length.

Also.... have you shot any WW760 ( H414 same stuff ) ?

With regards,
357Mag

Gary -

Howdy !

If not hijacking the post, I'd be interested to know the charge wt, and obtained vel per the barrel length.

Also.... have you shot any WW760 ( H414 same stuff ) ?

With regards,
357Mag
The charge of Staball6.5 that I'm using with that 65 grain Sierra is 40.5 grains which is probably near maximum. I extrapolated that from the hodgdon manual. They show 40.6 with the 63 grain Sierra. I'm using older Winchester brass that's been annealed with federal match primers. Still no chrono data yet, I don't expect super high velocities out of the Teeker as it only has a 22" barrel. Which is fine as I really bought it due to the 8" twisted barrel and it's ability to handle the heavier Boolits. From that limited example of one, it seems that the expansion of the 65 grain Sierra was adequate but not explosive, but that was a large specimen and they will soak up a lot of lead without coming apart like a prairie dog as you know. I do have a jug of H414 and have used it with good success with a different 250 and also my current Swift, have not tried it in this rifle yet.
The usual disclaimer applies to the novices out there that this was safe in my rifle….. yada yada yada.
Gary

The charge of Staball6.5 that I'm using with that 65 grain Sierra is 40.5 grains which is probably near maximum. I extrapolated that from the hodgdon manual. They show 40.6 with the 63 grain Sierra. I'm using older Winchester brass that's been annealed with federal match primers. Still no chrono data yet, I don't expect super high velocities out of the Teeker as it only has a 22" barrel. Which is fine as I really bought it due to the 8" twisted barrel and it's ability to handle the heavier Boolits. From that limited example of one, it seems that the expansion of the 65 grain Sierra was adequate but not explosive, but that was a large specimen and they will soak up a lot of lead without coming apart like a prairie dog as you know. I do have a jug of H414 and have used it with good success with a different 250 and also my current Swift, have not tried it in this rifle yet.
The usual disclaimer applies to the novices out there that this was safe in my rifle….. yada yada yada.
Gary
Gary -

Thanx a bunch ! Charge you mentioned sounds about right, to me

Should you happen to do a chronograph run-off between H414 / WW760 and 6.5 StaBal; I'd be interested to read about it.

With regards,
357Mag

'91 Remington 700 Varmint Special in 22-250 with VX6 3-18x44.

Tack driver on paper and absolute hammer on coyotes.