• 22 creed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22 hornet

• 17 hornet

• Total voters

bsnyder

Looking for my next rifle and really not sure what way I wanna go. Chucks, bobcats,fox, coyotes, and possibly a wolf. I know range can come in to play but looking for a fun new center fire. Not looking to spend thousand but a nice rifle. Wood or synthetic. I found a savage in triple duce for sale this morning but also really like the cz line of rifles. I have it narrowed down to the choices with in the poll. I currently one a bolt 223 and it's fine shoots great just looking to add to the stable.

Anything you have listed, doesn't go with wolf imho.
222, if you have never played with one, you should. I waited a long time, then found out I was missing out on a fine cartridge.
221FB, Maybe I got one that was a problem child, just never made me happy.
204 Ruger, it is slowly replacing a lot of my 223 shooting.
17 Hornet, I am just now getting out of the 17HH business, you have it listed twice. So I will add my .02 on another.
17FB, replaced my 17HH. I can load down to 17HH velocities and up full throttle to 4000+ if I so desire. The work I had to do to get excellent accuracy was easier and less frustrating than the Hornet.
22CM. No experience with it. Imho the creeds are just a fast twist of a prior cartridge. With that in mind, I will refer to 22-250. I had a 22-250 for a number of years. It does the job. However I found the 22BR to be way more accurate, as others before me have as well. It IS worth the work.
22Hornet. I actually just shot mine yesterday for the first time in quite a while. I play with it more as a novelty and cast bullets than as a varmint rig. Now that I have a 222 I can down load to Hornet speeds with easier accuracy.
FYI, if you go with a 22Hornet, be well aware there are some 1-16 twist out there that will not stabilize a 40 grain Vmax. I had a CZ that wouldn't short of ruining brass trying to overcome the problem with speed.
May draw howls of angst from some, but I will state my thoughts on small actions. The Howa mini has it all over the CZ527. I have had both, they both have their glitches. The CZ's have been around longer and more support.
The Mini has been around less, but has a large following and growing. There are options for some nice smooth bottom metal that really cleans them up slick.
Not a thing wrong with any cartridge you have listed, just what your expectations are in the field.

Do yourself a favor and look at the 19 Badger from James Calhoon, just about the same as the 20 vartarg, dies are about 2/3 less than the vartarg and factory brass is readily available, it's fast efficient and fun

Last edited:
22 Creedmoor. Handles anything from deer sized & down with ease. You can buy ammo or brass already formed & ready to load, and run small rifle primers if you want. It has the case capacity to push bullets faster than the others you mentioned & can run up to a 95gr bullet or much lighter bullet if desired. Wind resistant potential will be greater than others you listed. An endless supply of the parent case brass if you had to resort to necking down the 6.5 Creedmoor case.

I would do a 20 vartarg, 22 ppc or 222. I would get twist setup for proper bullet weight.

Looking for my next rifle and really not sure what way I wanna go. Chucks, bobcats,fox, coyotes, and possibly a wolf. I know range can come in to play but looking for a fun new center fire. Not looking to spend thousand but a nice rifle. Wood or synthetic. I found a savage in triple duce for sale this morning but also really like the cz line of rifles. I have it narrowed down to the choices with in the poll. I currently one a bolt 223 and it's fine shoots great just looking to add to the stable.
Out of your list got with the .204. I have been shooting .204 Ruger with 39gr SBK good out to 500yds since 2004 and very low recoil. Great chuck, PD, Coyote cartridge, but would get another additional rifle for Wolf and if going beyond 500 for everything else maybe go with a 6BR.. You can have a great bullet choice from 70gr to 105 gr at great velocity and hitting power.
If you want a do all one rifle for Chucks, PD, bobcats, fox, coyotes,& possibly a wolf AND ranges greater than 500 get the 6BR. Your bullet choices are only limited to barrel twist and can take everything from PD to Deer.