varmint rifle

Cut the barrel down? how short are you talking about here? and not to be or sound like a smart arse but why? just asking don't make anything out of it just curious. Later,

Kirk

Just curious on the cut length due to the fact that the 243 likes a little bit of barrel to keep the velocity up but the 308 you could go 18"-20" with not much notice granted it would drop off in the fps but not a bunch and the suppresor may knock it down a bit more. You just need to cut it back enough to thread the barrel whatever distance the supressor needs. Not knocking you or anything but why would you want to put a supressor on a LR rifle? trust me I'm with you on the supressor would love to put one on my short barrel AR but just curious. Later,

Kirk

i think a supressor looks cool and i kinda have a bad ear that i think a supressor would find usefull but thanks for the help on the cuttin thing, so i dont have to cut like 4 inch off more liek 1/2 or less correct.

ok thanks for the help on the rifle now wat are your opinions on scopes i was thinkin a leupold vx1 4-12x40 or a bushnell elite 3200 5-15x50

Oops I'm slow! been too busy, well I'm a fan of the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series scopes since they are in a price range I can afford and I have a couple of them that are working out very well! and truth I belive the Bushnell 3200 would be better glass than the VX-1 but either way you go save your pennies and wait a week or two until you can afford the best glass you can put on your rifle, I'm still saving for that NightForce and probably will be for a few more months but I belive it will be worth it in the end but don't get carried away and drop your money on anything that would be sub par. Later,

Kirk

k thanks for the help guys i learn a ton just from reading previous posts and ur input. i will probably be on here asking questions when i get enough cash to do my own build. thanks again

well i got my sps varmint in .243 (thanks ksmirk) i shot it at 50 meters and i got one group at about an inch with 100 gr remington factory stuff. Im gonna start handloading here this fall after i get my scope. i cant get the pics to come up yet so im still workin on that.

i got ym scope its a nikon buckamsters 4.5x14x40. its nice glass i think for what i paid for it and its better than the walmart thing i had strapped to it. any of you guys have any load info for the .243? also will a 9 1/8 twist stabalize the a maxs? guy at cabelas sed they would but the box says 1 and 9. thanks again this site is amazing i cant stop reading all the other past posts.

I started with a 308 10FP and found 308 is just too much bullet and $$$, so I got a take-0ff SS fluted 22-250 barrel, a sharp shooter supply recoil lug, a barrel wrench and a go gage, and now have both a spring summer and a fall winter rifle with the same glass, feel, trigger, etc. It is a good way to go Message me if you have any questions

ok guys i finally went to the range with my .243 only to find out that the 200 and 300 yard ranges were closed thus leaving me wit the 100. here is my best group of the day....
Photo33.jpg

Not a bad group for a factory barrel and factory ammo. I shoot a factory stocked 700 PSS 308. Only thing I have done is to glass and pillar bed it. With handloading, my groups have shrunk from 1 moa to sub-moa. Once you start loading, trying different weights, powders, primers, seating, brass, etc. you'll come up with a great load for your rig that will be consistent.

can anybody recommend me a type of powder to use i heard rl 22 and varget seem to work well. also what primers do u recommend? im having a heck of a time finding anything on that. i wood like to shoot 80 grain bullets and up as i will be using this for deer hunting this year. if i need to shoot 55s or 62s then i will but i would like to have a do all round if thats possible.. coyotes, p dogs etc.....

RL22 might be a little slow for the lighter bullets. Varget, IMR4895, H4895, all work well with .243/75-80gr combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts