22/250 varmint rifle?

hi to all!

I am wanting to purchase a new 22/250 varmint rifle and have no idea on what to buy. I am looking for a extremely accurate out of the box rifle. would anyone be able to give me some advise?

Thank you
Remington custom shop 40X rangemaster. I have two,(22-250&308)and both are tack drivers right out of the box.

I have two 22-250's one is a standard Remington Varmint Series with a 14 twist in a HS precision stock... it shoots.5" easy and better most of the time. The other is a BR gun that has a switch barrel, one in 22-250 with an 8 twist that I had throated for the 75 grain A_maxes. This barrel is a shooter and very accurate... however my main quarry is groundhogs and I was trying to get into the 500 yard club with that gun... I could hit the groundhogs with the 75's but it woudln't kill them esp. at the longer ranges.... depending on your quarry I would caution the use of the 75's... super accurate.... not quite as terminal as a varmint bullet... but hey... they're not designed to be a varmint bullet. That being said, lots of people have had great success with the same bullet and type of set-up...I bought up a bunch of the starke 68 & 80 grain RPVarmint Bullets and have been using them on varmints with much better success. I still use it today, but have been enjoying my 243AI for longer range shooting with excellent results.
I have heard and witnessed that the new Savages are one of the most accurate out of the box guns today. Got a buddy that has a 112 BVSS in 220 swift it's an older one... but its a tack driver!!! Hope this helps. Sam
I use the 69 gr. TMK in my 8 twist .223 and the 80 gr. Hornady A-Max in my 8 twist 22x47
Lapua I have kills on Penna. groundhogs at 420 yards with the .223 and 550 yards with the 22x47. I am very satisfied with the killing power of these two bullets at the longer ranges. I have also shot a doe at about 110 yards with the 22x47 and it was DRT, also there is a gunsmith that hunts deer with the 22x47 using the 80 gr. Hornady A-Max and has kills on deer at 800 plus yards.
Drags

If you already have a Savage action, I have a new Savage 22-250 heavy barrel that I am willing to part with. Was a take-off from a Model 12.

Old thread, but many of the suggested rifles are still out there. I can think of a bunch of very good new or used heavy-barreled varmint rifles chambered in .22-250 out there, e.g.: Tikka and Sako Varmints, Ruger Mk. II Varmint, Remington 700 VS, VLS, VSSF, or a nice used 40-X (and the new 783 laminated Varmint which is getting good reviews); CZ 550 Varmint (how come none of these or a 557 replacement version now available?), Browning, Savage....you get the picture. I can vouch for the Remington, Ruger and Savage, as I have/have had each.
Only problem is, I've fallen hard for the .22 cal 53 grain Hornady V-Max, and the standard barrel twist rate for the .22-250 for almost all manufacturers is 1:14"; that longer, higher-bc bullet needs at least a 1:12 for stabilization (not gonna get into the 1:9 and faster here, of which a few brands are now offered in; those don't interest me anyway as I'll just pull out a 6mm if I need more horsepower or wind-fighting ability). Savage is the only off-the-rack rifle in '250 that comes in a 1:12 twist. I bought a $300 Cabela's FV special and it shoots those 53 V-Maxes into 1/2 inch easily — and some factory 55-grainers, too.
If money is no object, Coopers are hard to beat; I have three in other chamberings. My "dream" .22-250 would be a Cooper Model 54 repeater (the 1:12 twist is standard), but it might be tempting to "upgrade" to an AI, or maybe go to a Swift for a change. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Only problem is, I've fallen hard for the .22 cal 53 grain Hornady V-Max, and the standard barrel twist rate for the .22-250 for almost all manufacturers is 1:14"; that longer, higher-bc bullet needs at least a 1:12 for stabilization.

The 53gr V-Max needs a 12" twist at 223 velocities (3350-ish fps), but when shot out of a 22-250 or .220 Swift with 14" twists, they stabilize just fine - I have two 22-250's and one .220 Swift that all shoot the 53 V-Max's very accurately.

Last edited:
The 53gr V-Max needs a 12" twist at 223 velocities (3350-ish fps), but when shot out of a 22-250 or .220 Swift with 14" twists, they stabilize just fine - I have two 22-250's and one .220 Swift that all shoot the 53 V-Max's very accurately.
Interesting. I'm getting ready to load up some Swift ammo for my 1:14 Ruger rifle and was actually considering trying a few of the 53 V-Maxes. Now I definitely will. Thanks.

53 gr VMAX did NOT shoot well in my 22-250 VLS w H4895/CCI LRP... app 1.00'' avg... No surprise, Hornady manual said they wouldn't. l have some Fed LRPs. Will try them before using a different pdr… Most of my Texas PD friends shoot the 53gr VMAX quite well in their Kimbers and Savages... 0ne Mk5 Weatherby SVM 22-250 shoots these under 1/4''... Even after 4000+rds documented... Those SVM Kreiger barrels are legendary for their accuracy and long life... l heard they were cryo treated TWICE. Before machining, then after

As a good alternative, if you can't get the 53gr Vmax to shoot well for you, give the 52gr ELD-M a try. I'm pretty sure the 52gr ELD-M is the same bullet as the old 52gr Amax, just with their new heat shield tip. Those two bullets have always shot VERY well in any 14tw 22-250 I've tried them in.

For the bang for the buck out of the box hands down the Savage out of the box will do you right I have a few of them and they are a dream to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.