varmint rifle

generaldoeboy

i have been looking into a varmint/medium game animal. I was thinking of the new remington vtr in .308 or a weatherby submoa vanguard in the same caliber i would also like some input on what type of glass to put on it.

well i dont really handload this is my first rifle purchase (i mainly shoot PD with a 870 and turkey chokes) but for the p dogs and coyotes thinkin the BH 168 or remington match grade 168gr. what is your opinion on the VTR?

Why not a Savage model 12? The accutrigger is awsome. That's what my .308 is. I've got a Super Sniper 10x with a mil dot. More adjustment and clearer than a Mark 4 and only $300. $400 if you want the side focus. Just my opinion.

well i dont like the accutrigger my friend have savages and i am not a fan. it also has a 26 in barrel i like 22 to 24 better. thanx for the advice on the scope though.

The accutriggers take getting used to. Once you get used to them they're pretty nice I think. You could always get an aftermarket trigger and have the barrel cut and recrowned.

Sorry dude but a super sniper isn't even in the same ball park as a mark4 in clarity or anything else for that matter. Not a bad scope at all but that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well the 308 is a fine round! I really like mine but have you thought about a 243? sounds like it might fit a bit better but then I don't have the whole story. Nothing wrong with the Super Sniper scope! I have one and while it doesn't have the price tag it's a nice solid scope, heck I have one and really like it but it's not a variable and that might help you out but not for sure! if my pockets were deep I'd go with the Nightforce scope! the ones I have looked thru well not many come close but the $1500+ price and being finacially embarassed is about the only reason I don't have one. As for the Savage rifles, they are ugly as all get out but they shoot! the accu-trigger takes some getting used to and a good stock to replace the tupperware one you get but they shoot and shoot well! got one myself to shoot pasture maggots with. Hope this helped you a bit. Later,

Kirk

thanks for your input and i have thought about a .243. i was lookin at the remington 700 sps varmint with the 26in barrel i would just get it cut down later when finances work out. i was wonderin about the barrel twist in it its a 9 1/8, will this stabalize most bullets??

The 243 would be a good round for what you have described. The 9-1/8 twist should stabilize all but the heaviest of 6mm bullets. I believe that Hornady recommends a 1:9" twist for its 105gr A-max.

k thanks for the input im hopin to order it this weekend i will try to post pics when it gets here thanks again u guys made it easier

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.