Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22 creed

• 22 hornet

• 17 hornet

• Total voters
Looking for my next rifle and really not sure what way I wanna go. Chucks, bobcats,fox, coyotes, and possibly a wolf. I know range can come in to play but looking for a fun new center fire. Not looking to spend thousand but a nice rifle. Wood or synthetic. I found a savage in triple duce for sale this morning but also really like the cz line of rifles. I have it narrowed down to the choices with in the poll. I currently one a bolt 223 and it's fine shoots great just looking to add to the stable.
240 Wby shooting 80 grain TTSX Barnes

I was also thinking why not step up to a 6mm of some kind. 243 Win would be the easiest. A fast twist 22 cal such as 22-250 or 22 crudmoor would work also. I currently own several 223's and a 22-250. I am having the 22-250 rebarreled to 260 AI right now. but a fast twist 22-250 or 243 win would be better in some circumstances for varmints.

Too many guys really dont read the question. Varmints up to Wolf, not looking to spend a thousand. You already own a 223. You dont need to go smaller or lighter in bullet weight then, 223 shoots fast enough and flat enough with light bullets. Your price range dictates a production rifle. My suggestion look at a 6 Creedmoor with a 1-8 or a 1-7.5 (if you can find one) twist factory barrel, maybe a 6.5 CM. With the 6 you can shoot up to 100 grain class bullets and effectively take anything from deer size or smaller.

Since you have the 223 already I d do a fast twist 22-250 or 22 CM if you plan to shoot quite a bit… if more focused on Coyote and Wolf ( especially wolf) I d probably sway to a 6mm. Either a 243 or 6CM would be good.

22 Creedmoor very versatile. Get a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavies 83 gr hammer hunters (wolf and longer ranges) and shoot 52 gr hammer hunters for varmints they'll stay together and shoot fine just really fast. In case your wondering I am a hammer fan and shoot both in my 22 Creedmoor.

Another vote for Ruger .204. Great ballistics, low recoil, good availability for ammo. Good resale value. I have owned the barrel burners, they are fun but loose their value rapidly and you create limits by having too reload.

Not sure how to place a vote.

Never been a fan of hugely over-bore chambers or of bores smaller than .224 Just too much of a PITB to clean for my interest.

Also tend to shy away from overly light for caliber bullets. I *might* shoot 45 gr's out of a Hornet, but I'd never shoot them out of a .223 Rem. or any larger powder capacity chamber.

If you set aside the oddball brass (no parent cartridge + who needs a belt on something like this?) I've long thought that the .224 WBY would make a fine varmint shooter. Pair it with faster twist barrel and I suspect that it could work very well. Then there is the .224 Valkyrie. I've not done a precise comparison, but intuition says that it should be in the same range as the .224 WBY with easier to get brass. Fast, but not ridiculously over-bore.

I really like the .224 Valkyrie. Franchi is offering it in their elite varmint rifle. Also available in the Mossberg varmint predator series. I have shot out to 1100 yards and is now my go to rifle for PD, coyotes etc. mine shoots the 88 ELDS . I also shoot a 6mmx45, .223 and a 17/223. The Valkyrie is the most versatile. Brass is available and so are the ELDS. My go to powders are CFE223, BL-C2 and 2460.

20 Practical which uses .223 cases and a .223 bushing die with appropriate bushings. The 39 gr Sierra bullet has a claimed BC of .290.

Chuck

I use a 22-250AI. Shot out the first barrel, went back with 8 twist. I use 80 amax. Smaller furry stuff takes that soft bullet hard.
The 19 Calhoon is amazing. I was skeptical until I saw prairie dogs pop out to 300 yds. The proprietary/single bullet source is a little scary to me, but buy enough and don't worry.
The 243 win/AI/6 xc/6 Creed are great on small stuff and enough for big dogs, and even speed goat, deer etc with the right shot/bullet. But the overbore rounds make short work of a throat, especially with hot and heavy shooting.

Looking for my next rifle and really not sure what way I wanna go. Chucks, bobcats,fox, coyotes, and possibly a wolf. I know range can come in to play but looking for a fun new center fire. Not looking to spend thousand but a nice rifle. Wood or synthetic. I found a savage in triple duce for sale this morning but also really like the cz line of rifles. I have it narrowed down to the choices with in the poll. I currently one a bolt 223 and it's fine shoots great just looking to add to the stable.
Go with the regular 22-250. You do not need the AI. Ammo much easier to find and is all you need. You may want to check out the Tikka T3x rifle.