What rifles have fancy wood stocks?

Here's a couple.

Circa 1972 Wby Varminmaster and a Cooper Jackson Game in .25-06.

54E3DD28-D749-4725-BA91-180A8B8BBA4D.jpeg
0F02A1C3-4064-4C9A-AF24-AC480D44CA06.jpeg

Blaser list grade 4 as the standard wood for their K95 single shot rifle. As of last week upgrade stocks in NZ$ (equal to 0.64 US$) are as follows, grade 5 $703, grade 6 $1881, grade 7 $3291, grade 8 $5694, grade 9 $7349 and grade 10 $11626.
Below is a photo of the stock on a new Turkish single barrel shotgun, at the bottom left of the picture is the price at NZ$380 or US$244. It makes me wonder why stock upgrades are so expensive!
20191212_154938.jpg

Go to champlinarms.com. they have some of the finest custom rifles with the most beautiful wood I have ever seen. They have been in business for over 50 years, have a great reputation. George Cassell is the owner

I'm looking for a rifle that has a fancy stock, new or old. Besides Weatherby's, does anyone else make anything like that?
Check on the Web, all real custom gunsmiths can offer up any thing that you would ever desire.
The rub however is $$$$.$$
On the other hand company's like Kimber, , Remington , Tikka , Sako, Browning ,& Savage among others offer rifles. with beautiful wooden stocks that usually are priced within reason.
(Weatherby makes some beautiful wood presentation stocks as well as you are aware of )
To that end if you can live with a rifle that has been made to their speciation's meaning comb, and length of pull, and factory trigger , then a store bought rifle is just the ticket . ( this applies to their rifle stocks and to the type of wood that they use)
However IMHO your custom gunmakers and the rifles that they present are in a far different grade than your store bought rifles.

You can have a stock made that will fit you exactly as well as the type and style of wood that you choose and the entire dimensions and shape of the stock by simply ordering it along with your rifle from a competent smith.
With a custom gun you can choose rifles caliber , your barrel length ,as well as barrel contour, threaded muzzle end or tapered muzzle brake, stainless steel or blued barrel , type of trigger, ( again all custom work )

It all boils down to workmanship , as well as pride of ownership of a custom gun !
After all what you want and what you can afford are strictly up to you and your wallet!
Please note that their is nothing at all wrong with ordering a gun from a we known manufacturer like the ones that I mentioned above, after all the majority of all our working guns are just that ,working guns, not braggers.
My two cents worth!

Last edited:
That thing is stunning! I had 2 of them that were beautiful, one in .243 and one in .22-250, but that one is basically exhibition grade. It is from around 1976, correct?
Actually I believe it is 1973 or 1974 I have to call browning to find out as the serial doesn't follow Browning's regular convention.

Some of my favorite stocks that I just had to have was a Weatherby Deluxe,and a browning with a maple stock the marbling on them were perfect.But both were out of my price range. But if price is not a issue look to blazer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.