Wood Stocks

gkempf

All the rifles I currently own have either HS Precision or Manners stocks on them. Just picked up a Remington 700 in 264WM with one of the best looking walnut stocks I have ever seen. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that have wood stocks on their hunting rifles. What do you to keep them from swelling ect. In adverse weather conditions. Also do you bed the action. Thanks

Seal all the bare wood! I would pillar/action bed the rifle, seal the barrel channel with polyurethane or free float with bedding compound and don't forget under the recoil pad. Seal the wood in the trigger cutout, magazine area and bottom metal cut out. Then wax the checkering with renaissance gun wax. I've done this on at least a dozen wood stocked rifles because I live on the wet side of Oregon. It weatherizes and makes the rifle more accurate. It works.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.