Durability of Weatherby Wood Stocks

sns2

I am thinking about picking up one of the Cabelas LazerGuards (vanguard in a Lazermark stock). My son thinks they are the nicest rifle in the world. Anyhow, I have NEVER bought a shiny shiny gun like that. Always admired them, but thought they would get super scratched up real fast.

Am I right or wrong?

Are you planning on throwing in it the back of the truck for a few thousand miles?

Seriously, guns may get scratched up, if not taken care of. If you're real worried about it, get the gun and restock it in something you're not paranoid about.

Larry
Tinkerer

And I'm not being sarcastic, just realistic.

The wood stocks do very well in my experience with "normal" handling. My oldest Wby is a Mk V built in 1965 (7mm Wby) and is still going strong after many hours at the range and on my back with a sling. The stock wasn't designed just for looks but to also reduce felt recoil. I do keep it in a case in the car or truck. The rifle has the usual handling marks. I bought the rifle to shoot and hunt, not to keep in a safe.

The wood stocks do very well in my experience with "normal" handling. My oldest Wby is a Mk V built in 1965 (7mm Wby) and is still going strong after many hours at the range and on my back with a sling. The stock wasn't designed just for looks but to also reduce felt recoil. I do keep it in a case in the car or truck. The rifle has the usual handling marks. I bought the rifle to shoot and hunt, not to keep in a safe.

+1
Weatherby is known for there quality, and there stocks are no exception. they normally use Mesquite
or English Walnut. Both types of wood are very dense and will hold up very well.

The composites are no better about scratching, they just don't show it as easy as fine wood does.

As mentioned, wood and laminated stocks dampen harmonics better than composites.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts