What rifles have fancy wood stocks?

Here is a custom I had built a while back by Richard Franklin who is now retired I believe.
Laminated Maple, Trued Remington action, Kreiger barrel, Jewel trigger, etc.
Chambered in 6mm AI, a real groundhog thumper.
Gary

View attachment 199729

That is just about the coolest looking maple I've seen. Is it heavy as solid maple?

Big Horn Armory makes outstanding lever action big bore rifle in pistol cartridges such as the 500 S&W. The standard wood would be extra fancy at minimum. Exhibition grades are phenomenal with an up charge.
BHA just makes Me a better Hunter since the range is more limited which is not a bad thing... GLW5525
They are works of art. I'm hoping someday to get on in 460 S&W.
Big Horn Armory makes outstanding lever action big bore rifle in pistol cartridges such as the 500 S&W. The standard wood would be extra fancy at minimum. Exhibition grades are phenomenal with an up charge.
BHA just makes Me a better Hunter since the range is more limited which is not a bad thing... GLW5525
Their lever rifles are works of art. I hope to get one in 460 S&W. When I do. Il only have to drive 3/4 mile. :)
I like the wood on my two Sako's. My Cooper is Synthetic stocked . I didn't even know they put such beautiful stocks on their rifles .

Great responses one and all. I own several Weatherby Rifles and Shot guns and also , 12 years ago I purchased a Incredible Weatherby Stock, from on E bay , it came from the Weatherby custom shop. All factory Inlettted and ready to receive a Mark V Barreled action. ( Picture Below ) . Perfect checkering . So perhaps you can purchase the rifle you really want, and then restock it into a really nice highly figured wood. I have no problem putting the standard stock back on prior to a hunting trip. The custom shops of many of these rifle companies, also may have stocks for sale. Great wood makes for an elegant rifle. . Good luck Buddy

Attachments

• IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 459
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 462
I use a small custom guy in California. I'm left handed and 6'5" so factory guns aren't always available. I still fancy some good character in a great wood grain stock. Here is some of the pieces I have and a few others he has produced recently... DM if you are interested or for more information.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    595.2 KB · Views: 446
I use a small custom guy in California. I'm left handed and 6'5" so factory guns aren't always available. I still fancy some good character in a great wood grain stock. Here is some of the pieces I have and a few others he has produced recently... DM if you are interested or for more information.
Those are some beautiful stocks and rifles .I'd be afraid to take them outside !

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful stock and rifles .I'd be afraid to take them outside !
Every hunt is an experience to cherish. It's about being out there and all that comes from it. Every scratch is a memory Or a blemish has a story. The beauty in wood is it can always be restored. Synthetic is just so cold...
What I don't enjoy is locking them away in a dark safe to only see lite of day once every few years... I'll never sell them, they are party of the family history be passed down...

My dad used and learned from a gunsmith in the 1950's, Joe Dutre, here in San Jose. He did some early work for Weatherby back in the day...

wondering if anyone knows or recalls him.

my dad got 4 or 5 customs from him, but I'm left handed so those aren't going to be too functionally for me.

Just saw this lovely Sauer 404 Elegance grade 10.
Its up there as one of the prettiest stocks Ive ever seen.

Sauer.jpg

It will only set you back about $4300US if you have it lying around.

The other option is to just buy the rifle you want & get a stock maker to custom make the nicest piece of wood you can find.

Either way its not cheap!

Just saw this lovely Sauer 404 Elegance grade 10.
Its up there as one of the prettiest stocks Ive ever seen.

View attachment 200455

It will only set you back about $4300US if you have it lying around.

The other option is to just buy the rifle you want & get a stock maker to custom make the nicest piece of wood you can find.

Either way its not cheap!
Very beautiful !!! I only have one nice wood stock on a Sako 300 win mag. My other Sako 22-250 is kinda blah but nice. My 300 wm has only been shot around 13 times. It belonged to a neighbor of my dad's when I lived there, I think I was 19 when he bought the Sako in 1978 I believe . He asked me to sight it in. I don't remember for sure but no more than 10 shots. He fired 3 between then and when I bought it from him before I moved back last year. 3 shots in 42 years... He told me 1 shot at a buck in Ca. and 2 shots at a buck in Ut.. He missed that one. He's 85 now and hasn't hunted for many years. He told me he always remembered me saying if he ever wanted to sell it I would by it. 42 years later he still remembered . I asked how much he wanted ? I had no clue how much it was worth but figured at least 1k. I didn't have much $ at the time so I said $500. He said how bout $600. I said how bout $550. He took it. Later a friend looked up the serial # and said it was made between 1978 and 1979. I told him that sounds like correct time period. Then I felt guilty but he told me that's how much he paid for it back then... When I stopped at my dad's house on the way out of Ca. back to Wy. I went over to give him a check for $50. He wasn't home . I put under mat and left a bunch of frozen deer, lope and elk meat with my dad to give to him. I still feel guilty only giving him $600. My friend said that in good condition it was worth $1800. It's in xlnt condition. I felt bad.
It also has a 4.5x20x40 Luepold on it. Anyway . Thought I'd bore you with my story. A guy at work asks me every other day if I want to sell it. Lol. I told him it has sentimental value to me so I can't . I may shoot it one day. I wanted to get the original box of ammo from him but like I said he wasn't home :( I'm going back there in Sept. for a deer hunt I burned my points on. $178 for license and $299 for tag. What a joke . Trophy state Ca..it's X12 by Bridgeport and Nv. border. Eastern Sierra's . I have max 19 pts. For elk. They only give 1 non res. tag. Great. Will have been a year since left. I'll hunt then visit family and friends . Maybe get that box of ammo and unload some Ca. deer meat on him also:)
Sorry for long post.

We have one at Axial Precision ready to ship.
If you want some REALLY fancy wood, check it out.
DSC00144.jpg

We have one at Axial Precision ready to ship.
If you want some REALLY fancy wood, check it out.
View attachment 200790
Very nice, but its about $8K out of my price range 😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.