What Priming Tool?

Don't really know to tell you the truth but if it is made in China it's one of the better things they have ever made of been using mine for two years without any issues

Hey all, I would like to ask everyone what priming tool/tools they're currently using. Also I'd appreciate it if you'd add past or current experiences with other priming tools. Please add your pros and cons as well. Thank you!

I've been using an old Lee hand priming tool for years and I really can't complain. This is the second one I've had and the first one had the casting crack. These are no longer made and I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future. I'm not going to go crazy and buy the Primal Rights bench seater, but pretty much everything else on the market I'm looking at.

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum hand priming tool is one on my list. I think it's cool that the primer depth can be controlled with it, but I'm not sure if I constantly want to be adjusting that for every caliber I load for. I've also been looking at the tools from Sinclair, 21st Century, and K&M. These all seem to have good reviews and everyone says they had really good feel when seating primers. Having good feel when priming is important to me, but having to single load each primer at a time doesn't sound ideal. The other hand priming tools from RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady kind of have mixed reviews and don't seem to be any better or worse than one another. I also have been looking at the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and think it's really cool as well. The only thing I don't like about the RCBS bench tool is having to waste the time to fill primer tubes. Its nice to be able to just dump X amount of primers into the tray and start seating. I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the best priming tool and hopefully you guys can help me make up my mind haha. Thank you.

I use and love the Franklin Arsenal priming tool. Better construction and feel than the Lee. I used to decap, resize, and prime in one up and down motion. I still do that for non critical ammo, like .223 for mag dumps. But the separate priming pass fits well into my new process, which includes decapping, then cleaning and annealing (every 2nd-3rd firing) before the priming pass.

I used the Lee auto prime for years until they changed the design a few years back. I don't like the newer design.

Since then I've been using the primer on my Forster Co-Ax and more recently been using the primer system on my Redding T-7 turret press.

I don't understand the comments about using a hand primer to "feel" the primer seating. I can "feel" the primer seating tension very well in the Co-Ax and pretty well on the Redding.

I also don't understand the advantage of being able to adjust primer seating depth. Seems like you would want the primer sitting all the way against the flash hole. Somebody please explain if that's flawed thinking.

I have used a Lee hand primer but after a while my hand starts to cramp up. As far as adjustable priming tools are concerned, I think they are just a gimmick. Primers are designed to be seated flush in the pocket and this "sets" the anvil. Seating them anything less than this and you risk having the primer fail to ignite. I have used the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool for approx 30-35 yrs and I love it. Filling the tube takes maybe 2 minutes and you can really feel how well the primer is being seated.

I've used the Lee hand prime, the Lee RAM prime, the Hornady hand prime, the RCBS APS press mounted primer and the Redding slider bar system that fits the Boss presses.

The Lee hand prime was the first I owned, and I used it till the handle broke. It took a few years, and gave me reliable service to that point.

The Lee RAM prime is bulletproof, I still have it, but having to manually place primers it tedious. It's now reserved for my backup priming system.

The Hornady hand prime is a more robust version of the Lee hand prime. I used that till one of the youngsters I was teaching to reload managed to break the plastic tray. I can't remember how, but the large primer side of the tray was useless, so I sold it to someone that just needed to prime small primers.

The RCBS APS system fitted to my single stage was a disappointment. The APS strips are a great idea, and the ability to completely control primer seating depth is a brilliant feature, but the mechanism never worked properly for me. I found that the primer punch was binding from time to time, and it became a little annoying to have to strip the mechansim every twenty primers or so to unbind it. I never figured out why it was binding, there's clearance problem in there somewhere. I won't sell something to anyone if it doesn't work, so it sits on the scrap shelf.

The Redding primer bar system that bolts to the press is now all I use for rifle priming. It works flawlessly. I like the way the primers refill from a primer pickup tube. It's a manual version of the Hornady LnL priming system, which has found it's way to the the Dillon 750 as well.

The downside is it is made for Redding only. There is something very similar from RCBS and from what I can tell it's for the RC Supreme only.

Last edited:
I have used a Lee hand primer but after a while my hand starts to cramp up. As far as adjustable priming tools are concerned, I think they are just a gimmick. Primers are designed to be seated flush in the pocket and this "sets" the anvil. Seating them anything less than this and you risk having the primer fail to ignite. I have used the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool for approx 30-35 yrs and I love it. Filling the tube takes maybe 2 minutes and you can really feel how well the primer is being seated.
I'm really leaning towards the RCBS bench priming tool. I can't really find a hand tool that I like other than the RCBS one. The rest of them have very mixed reviews or don't have what I'm looking for. How would you say the feel is on the bench priming tool compared to the hand priming tool?

I have had a K&N for prob 40 years, love it for loading all my target stuff. loading one primer at a time is no big deal, I find it very relaxing.

I still use one of the original LEE Round priming tools for loading volume stuff like 223s, it is fast and easy to use. I have never had one go off. And I have had it try to seat a small primer sideways a few times, that is always a pain in the tush. But never went off, had it happen just the other day.

I always hold the tool facing away from me out of habit, it is kind of like looking down the barrel of a loaded gun, not a good idea!

Primers go off from impact, not pressure. If you are gently seating them, I don't know how one could go off. Try putting one in a vise and slowly crush it, does not go off.

I had an entire tray of primers go off once on the bench! One of my dumb moves, using a Dremel on a part clamped in the vise, wasn't paying attention, primer flip try was right in line with the spark shower. Wasn't pretty.

But I don't see how that could happen with the Lee tool if used properly.

Most BR shooters (me included) are very Anal about our reloading techniques. We try to do everything the exact same way round to round. Some of it is voodoo that we can't prove it makes a difference, but we still do it. Primer seating is one of those unproven practices.

A group of our BR guys had a debate over priming tools. I was in our tunnel shooting one day and decided to do a test using my K&N, Lee and a buddies RCBS that was there shooting with me. We loaded up 5 rounds each with cases primed with all three tools. Groups were virtually the same, nothing jumped out as a problem. Then we loaded up 3 rounds with each, mixed them up and shot a 9 shot group. The position of the group did not change, and it was close to the same as the other three groups. None of the shots were out of the group.

So what did we learn, primer seating may not be as important as we thought.

Am I still Anal about my priming method, dern right I am.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I used the old style Lee for some time and it worked fine. When my shop was cleaned out I was doing alot of travel so didn't get to reload for some time. I still had my Dillon RL550B so priming was easy for large batches of ammo. I bought the new Lee hand tool and all accessories. I have had problems, the clear plastic top pops up. I had trouble holding the handle and pushing the lever. One batch of brass I finally gave up and used my Lee press one at a time. I like being able to sit in my easy chair as well. But the Lee was awkward and hard to function. I am going to start looking for a new one. Disappointed in the Lee.

Rcbs hand primer, prior to that it was on the rock chucker press using the primer tubes, prior to that it was single hand fed to the primer arm on the press. Kind of a pain to change cartridges, remove tray, remove guide arm, remove primer pin, remove Shell holder....bleh.

Another vote for 21 century. I was a little concerned about loading each primer individually, but once I started using it, I don't mind that at all. Just dump the primers in a tray that can't spill out of that's easy to grab individual primers.

I started out using the priming system supplied with my first Pacific reloading press. Until I tried the RCBS hand primer I didn't get it either, but there's no way I'd go back to press based system unless it is part of a high volume progressive (Dillon et. al.). A primer flipper tray is worth it's weight, buy one if you go with manual single feed tool.

And another vote for the 21st Century priming tool. I have used the Hornady and Lee tools with the priming tray attached and also the Frankford Arsenal priming tool. I find the 21st Century tool is made very well and feels solid in my hand. Being able to adjust the seating depth of the primers is great. Does it improve my rounds? I don't know but it keeps me from crushing the primers like the Hornady tool sometimes did. Hand feeding primers take 2-3 seconds more per round but I'm not making rounds in bulk so I don't find it a problem.

I have a Lee bench prime and I like it. It has pretty good feel and the trays are easy to load. Your hands won't cramp because you only have to push down on the lever. It's inexpensive too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts