Priming Tool

I pop them every now and then when I am vacuuming. It always makes me jump. Been reloading for over 40 years and have never popped a primer while reloading. I have had many go in sideways and backwards and all I ever do is just run them back through the decapping die.

My thoughts are that it takes a quick blow to set them off. Not just the push from a decapping die.

No it's the static you should be afraid of. Can't you see what your vacuum is doing? It's setting them off. So don't reload using your vacuum!

I used the RCBS for years and then it got a little finicky and wouldn't seat consistently. I messed around with it for a while and then decided to get a different one. I ended up with the 21st Century priming tool without the tray. I love it. I can't imagine ever going to back to the old tool. It's not as slow as I thought it would be handling each primer. It's also got click adjustments for depth.

now I would never put a live round in my priming tool and start mashing on it. that makes me cringe to watch.

I like to use the primer seater on my RCBS Rock Chucker supreme. I like the feel and repeatability of how it seats the primers for me. I'm not sure what tool was used in the video but my press gives me much more consistent results.

That video gave me the feeling something bad was going to happen. It was almost hard to watch.
I'm never going try to mess with a primer in a loaded road. I'll pull the bullet, dump the powder and decap then start over. A primer is 3 cents. My safety is worth much more than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.