What Priming Tool?

I've used the RCBS hand priming tool (don't remember the specific model) for years and have no complaints. Good feel and does the job perfectly with each squeeze.

Used the RCBS bench for years....switched to 21st Century never looked back. One is set up for large primers the other is for small primers.

I've been using the Lee bench mounted primer and like it much better than the hand primer unit. The only thing I think could be improved is the primer tray itself. It's a little small and doesn't always feed primers without tapping on it occasionally. Otherwise, I like it.

I use the K&M tool that cost 60 bucks. It's 100 % steel and has real good feel. It is also adjustable for depth and used the Lee holders you already have. Single feeding is simple and priming cases is the fastest part of reloading so you really are not losing much time at all. I use a metal candy tin with a pop top to hold the primers. It's about 3 inches across so very easy to reach into. It has a top that when pressed in the center it unlocks and when pressed on the sides it snaps closed.
Shep

I use the K&M tool that cost 60 bucks. It's 100 % steel and has real good feel. It is also adjustable for depth and used the Lee holders you already have. Single feeding is simple and priming cases is the fastest part of reloading so you really are not losing much time at all. I use a metal candy tin with a pop top to hold the primers. It's about 3 inches across so very easy to reach into. It has a top that when pressed in the center it unlocks and when pressed on the sides it snaps closed.
Shep
The K&M is another one I'm really looking at. It's not super expensive and I don't have to buy extra or special shell holders for it. Is the K&M adjustable for depth, or can I just seat by feel and not have to use the depth adjustments? Thank you!

The depth adjustment is by turning the nut on top that holds the shell holder. You can turn it in a little extra and seat by feel or turn it to where the primers are perfect with the handle bottomed out. I ream all my primer pockets to same depth so I just set mine to seat bottomed out. The adjustment is very fine when setting depth so it's easy to get it perfect. It's also very simple to change between small and large. Also the ram is very precise in it's center and doesn't wiggle around like the Lee so primers start perfectly centered and go in smoothly. Very nice tool for the money. I've used some tools that cost 3 times more that just didn't feel any better. I shoot BR and several of my BR friends use this same one. I tell all my reloading students to get this one. It will last forever.
Shep

@25WSM thank you very much! I'm really leaning towards that K&M tool. I cut all of my primer pockets to depth and prefer to seat by feel. I've never used a tool that had depth adjustment. I would just worry about having to keep track of the depth adjustment every time I was loading and for every different cartridge. It's just easier in my mind to seat everything by feel and not have to worry about adjusting the depth every time.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but I don't want to handle my primers at all. I just want to put a box in to a primer tray, shake them until they are all facing the right way and then put them in to clean cases. No finger oil, no grabbing them one at a time.

I'll even seal the primers with nail polish if I intend to store the ammo for any amount of time.

On mine the adjustment is all the way down and back up one turn. Put the opening at 7 o'clock and it's good. You will like it. If you don't just send it to me.
Shep

On mine the adjustment is all the way down and back up one turn. Put the opening at 7 o'clock and it's good. You will like it. If you don't just send it to me.
Shep
Does anything keep it locked in that position? Or can the head just freely thread in and out? I saw one video on it and it looked like the adjustments were made by just spinning the head up and down. Didn't seem like anything kept it from moving.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.