What powder measure do you use?

Mada

I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load measure and it always seems to be dropping 2 +/- grains extra.
I got this measure with the Hornady Lock-n-Load classic kit... :x
Has anybody heard of similar problems or is mine just faulty?

What powder measure do YOU use?

what I'm doing now is , I use a LEE spoon and put the bulk of my powder on my scale pan then I trickle up to my desired weight . from what I can tell the LEE spoon is about as accurate , or maybe more accurate , than my lyman powder drop . I use a 10-10 scale and a omega electric trickler . Jim

for ball and short grained powders it's hard to beat the Lyman #55. But I also use a Harrell. For big stick powders that old Belding & Mull is still the best out there.
gary

Im using stick powder. But man... my powder measure is really just spitting intolerant amounts of powder.. I want a low tolerant measure so I can load the cartridges faster without potentially blowing up my face... or worst.. my rifle.. :D

I started with the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo, had it for several years & it finally died, keypad quit working. Recieved a Lyman DPS III as a christmas gift, loaded a full 12 shells with that wonderful pile of excrement & it refused to power on after that... Now on to the Hornady Lock'n'Load, works better than the Lyman (it actually turns on), but it is not as accurate in powder throws as the RCBS was. The Hornady usually over charges by .2-.5 grains with powders ranging from Retumbo (stick powder) to Ramshot Magnum (ball powder), which is just enough to make your face change colors; so here is what I do, since I usually have to dump some powder back in anyway, I start ~.5 grain below my desired charge weight & hand trickle up from there. Pain in the posterior for sure, but it is what it is... wish I would have just bought another RCBS.

I use a Lyman 55 for powders that it will throw accurately like varget, and the small ball powders. And I still verify them on a sacle. I weigh all my other charges on a scale to as close to zero as I can get.
Tarey

I use the Lee "perfect powder measure", a digital scale, a trickler and a pair of tweezers. I find the powder thrower is usually good to about 1/3gn or so. I set the powder thrower up to about 1/2 grain less then I want and use either the trickler or the tweezers to get me to where I need. I have recently pretty much stoped using the trickler and just the tweezers, I find it's faster then using the trickler.

Now, many have said that there is no need for being as acurate as I want to be (to the .00 of a grain) when loading but I have the time, I like consistancy and I like being percise and consistant so that's what I do. I say try it with some tweezers and see if it's your cup of tea, it's really not that bad.

Have used a RCBS Chargemaster for the last four years. It has had its problems but RCBS has always takin care of it by sending me out a new one. The last one has been good for the last two years. Excellent customer service.

I will use nothing else

I use a Lyman 55 for powders that it will throw accurately like varget, and the small ball powders. And I still verify them on a sacle. I weigh all my other charges on a scale to as close to zero as I can get.
Tarey

I highly recommend the Sinclair bottle adapter and their drop tubes with the Lyman. Mine will throw ball powders to about +/- 1/10th of a grain all the time.
gary

My Harrels Premium BR measure is very good. I check it frequently against two different scales. I also have a Redding BR30, and it is usually within 1 or 2 grs. of the Harrels.

I use RCBS Uniflow, Lyman 55, Hornady, Bonanza Benchrest. Try to move lever consistent between throws. If it get sticky, disassemble and lube rotation bush with graphite. I don't trust electronic scales and use an RCBS 5-10 scale with powder tickler.

I use a Belding & Mull. Once it is set, no further changes or variables in powder dispensed. If you can find one, it is worth the money.

My Harrels Premium BR measure is very good. I check it frequently against two different scales. I also have a Redding BR30, and it is usually within 1 or 2 grs. of the Harrels.

Thru my years of shooting and reloading the one measurer that's always eludded me was a Homer Culver built Lyman!! The Harrell is very similar in concept, and I love mine! Only real pain is having to keep a seperate log book with all the loads I run thru it in clicks. Once you get the hang of it you'll never want to go back. And this one will easilly do the 1/10th window with fine grained powders. Probably the single best repeating measurer I've ever seen. You can dial in a certain load three years later, and it will come out exactly where you left off.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.