Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
The brake was built by Brian's Guns in Utah. The rifle was built by Morton Arms in Morton Indiana. The rifle use to be a 260 with a Hart heavy barrel but I shot the barrel out at 2900 rounds so I re-barreled it to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Load data just got done yesterday with the 140 Berger at 2865fps and a 5 shot group of .155moa. RL26/CCI200 primer.

I don't think it's the hit to the shoulder that bothers me. I don't like making sure the stock is tight in my shoulder that I don't get hit by the scope. I like to be relaxed as possible when shooting.

For those of you who aren't sure how the numbers compare to real world rifles, here's a handy calculator for recoil velocity and energy...

9 lb 6.5 Creed ≈ 13 ftlbs
9 lb 30-06 ≈ 22 ftlbs
9 lb 300 WM ≈ 32 ftlbs

Kinda interesting to see how much powder charge affects things...

FYI, a decent muzzle brake will cut the perceived recoil by about 1/3 to 1/2...
And also your hearing!!!

Well, I haven't read all 34 pages, but assume much of this has been beaten to death. I see it like this:

Ft-lb recoil numbers are only a small part of the story. They give you a place to start, but perceived recoil has a lot to do with duration of the recoil pulse, stock design, technique, shooting position, muzzle blast, muzzle rise, etc. Any noxious stimuli received by the brain and previous bad experiences influence what happens when you pull the trigger. It doesn't take much of a flinch to really blow up EVERY advantage of a hyper-accurate rifle. It takes me forever to overcome getting thumped by a scope.

I love suppressors and hate muzzle breaks. The muzzle blast is just as noxious to me as the shoulder thump. I can shoot my stock Mk V .300 Weatherby about 15-20 rounds off a bench before it's not fun. Standing, it's not bad at all. The .338 or .340 Wby is about 10 rounds. I could shoot the suppressed 300 Win mag all day, no problems. Somewhere in the .260 AI to .280 AI is the sweet spot for me. But, I've learned not to push it, focus on technique, and not get to where my primitive brain causes bad habits.

The .416 Rigby with 400 gr bullets is an absolute bugger from a bench but not all that bad standing up on the sticks. I usually do 10-12 rounds in a session, never missing an 8" paper plate at 200 yards - plenty good enough for African dangerous game, as I verified last summer in the Caprivi. 2 shots, 2 dead critters. I very unashamedly put a limb saver pad on it, and used it while hunting.

I have a youth model Wby Vanguard in 7mm-08. With 140 bullets the thing is a hideous demon to shoot. I'd never let a kid touch it off, even if I hated him. I don't know if it's the weight, the stock design, or just what, but there isn't a rifle in my collection I enjoy shooting less.

.350 Rem with a rocking chair leg for a stock = miserable. Browning safari .375 = piece of cake. It all depends!