What is your best bullet/power combo for 300 win mag?

BigMedicine

I just bought a Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 300 Win Mag, and I am looking for a starting point for reloads. I will be using this rifle for deer, bear and if I can draw a tag one day, moose. I am thinking 150 gr. for deer 165 for bear, and 180-200 for moose. Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I just bought a Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 300 Win Mag, and I am looking for a starting point for reloads. I will be using this rifle for deer, bear and if I can draw a tag one day, moose. I am thinking 150 gr. for deer 165 for bear, and 180-200 for moose. Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Here is a good thread on 300 win mag and various bullets. I run the 230 OTM from my wildcat 30 magnum that's real similar to 300 win mag. H-1000 powder is where I'd start with any bullet. A 215m federal primer or Winchester LR magnum. The search bar in the top right will also show you several other salient threads. Have fun!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

I'd pick 1 bullet in the 190-215 grain weight that your rifle shoots well and just stick with it.

1 - You won't have to re-learn your drops and wind.
2 - You will save yourself a ton of effort with load development.
3 - Anything that will kill a moose or bear will certain kill a dear.
4 - Your POI will shift anytime you change the weight of a bullet like that.

Just my opinion though. :)

I'd pick 1 bullet in the 190-215 grain weight that your rifle shoots well and just stick with it.

1 - You won't have to re-learn your drops and wind.
2 - You will save yourself a ton of effort with load development.
3 - Anything that will kill a moose or bear will certain kill a dear.
4 - Your POI will shift anytime you change the weight of a bullet like that.

Just my opinion though. :)

+1. The heavy bullets are the way to go in the 300wm. I shoot the 208 Amax (and will have to try ELD's when my pile runs out). I use Reloader 22 but you might do some research for a faster burning powder with a shorter barrel like the Bear Hunter.

ive now loaded for 5 different 300 win mags that shoot under 1 MOA with this load:

180 nosler ballistic tip or 180 accubond
75.5 reloader 22
stay at SAMMI C.O.A.L
CCI 250 primer
Winchester brass

If you don't find desireable accuracy with this load I'm sure you could find something acceptable from 74.0-76.0 grains of reloader 22 w/these bullets.

Obviously work up to this load if you decide to use it, it is right at maximum in the books.

I agree on only shooting one bullet. For me the 215 Berger and H1000 with FED GM215M is the way to go. Very easy bullet to develop a load for, and a stable powder. I believe I started at 74 gr and worked up. I used a custom reamer so I won't say how many grains of H1000 I am using. Probably not safe in most guns. Start them at 30 thou off. This depth has worked very well in a few 300WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.