What is the best long rang bullet you have used for your 338 win mag ?

dgr416

I have hunted with my 338 win mag in a ruger 77 for 34 years .I mostly hunted with Winchester power point 200 grain loads .They shot clover leafs In my rifle at 100 yards and under an inch at 200 yards .They are not really good long range loads good to up to 400 yards that is about it.I tried 200 grain accumbens but my rifle didn't like them .I thought about taking the tips off so I could seat them further out to see if they would shoot. I want to stick to 225 grain or less for recoil reasons .

I have hunted with my 338 win mag in a ruger 77 for 34 years .I mostly hunted with Winchester power point 200 grain loads .They shot clover leafs In my rifle at 100 yards and under an inch at 200 yards .They are not really good long range loads good to up to 400 yards that is about it.I tried 200 grain accumbens but my rifle didn't like them .I thought about taking the tips off so I could seat them further out to see if they would shoot. I want to stick to 225 grain or less for recoil reasons .
I don't think there is a long range bullet in 338 lighter than the berger 250 or the 265 ablr I would try the berger first I have used them in a 338-06 but the lower velocity limits this rifle to less than what I consider long range but it was a very accurate bullet to 500 maybe others will have a better idea as my experience with the 338 cal. is limited

Id try 225 NAB , it doesnt have to be a designated lr to work.I shot lots of elk at range with 338=225 grn bullet

I've shot the Barnes 185 grain TTSX and the Speer 200 grain Hotcor in my .338-06, .338 RUM, and .338 Lapua with good results. I didn't shoot either of these past 440 yards in any of the rifles, my range limits out at 440.
I was working on a very fast .338 bullet that wouldn't blow up on impact. I had mixed results on accuracy from load to load but the bullets penetrated the medium that I was testing it on every shot.

225 TTSX if you must stick to 225 grains, which is a huge limfac.
I have tried pretty much everything worth trying in the 338 Win. from 200-300 grains. Hands down my favorite going forward is the 265 Accubond Long Range. It took a lot of tinkering however, I now have a load shooting these half-MOA or better at 2,630fps using RL16. Based on the ballistics, this spanks every other bullet I tried (ELDX, TTSX, VLD, Partition, Accubond of various weights, etc.).

I've been looking at the Swift scirocco 210 gr. for a bonded bullet (.507 bc) in my 338 WM but haven't got any yet. The ELD's look good too. The 230 has a .616 bc. I'll check out the 265 Gr. ABLR

A lot of the above suggestions are probably pretty good ones. I just got a load this last fall for my old Tikka 338 WM and it is 250 accubond however the 225 would probably be great as well but I am hitting really well at nine hundred yards with it. I use a slip on limbsaver recoil pad to help reduce the crap getting beat out of me. When I'm hunting of course that comes off.

Btw.... nipping the tip off your bullet will probably be the worst thing you could do if you were wanting to shoot longer ranges with it.

Well, I reckon I should wade into the murk here.
the best round I have ever used in my 300 Win Mag was Berger hunters for longer range. For my 338 Win Mag were the Barnes X, I never tried the accubonds. however the ballistic tips I have. they worked well. at one point Speer and Hornady were my fave slugs, but they lost their way with discontinuing the hot-core and the original design of their soft tip spire point boat tails. I used to put down bear with barnes 250's, elk with barnes 225's both under 400 yards. accubonds and ballistic tips were just coming into vogue and I tried the ballistic tips for longer ranges and they worked well. I never got to shoot the Berger hunters in 338. they came out too recent for me to have hunted them up in Montana.

I've shot the 225 grain Nosler Accubond with good results out of a 26" barrel in a .338 Lapua. 1/2 MOA. The average velocity was just over 3000 FPS, I'll have to dig my data cards out to confirm in exact velocity but fast enough to punch a big critters lights out.

I had great results with the Barnes 225gr TTSx in my Rem 700 338WM. Under 3/4" groups with minimal load development.

Two of my 338 win mag shot 4 inch groups at 100 yards with the nosler 225 grain Accubonds .My stainless ruger 77 338 win mag shot 225 speer grand slams into a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards but they quit making that bullet .It seems to shoot traditional flat base bullets best .I will have to have a muzzke break if I go above 225 grains .I have a 338-378 weatherby just didnt want to use it on deer unless I have to .I can handle up to 275 grain bullets with the 338-378 with the muzzle brake on it .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.