What is the smallest contour barrel you can flute

Iclimb

Looking at a bartlein barrel and I'm wondering what the smallest contour I can go with a still flute? May be question for them. Anybody have experience fluting small contour barrels? Pics?

You need to talk to Bartlein about that if you want them to do the fluting. It will vary depending on the size of the hole in the barrel and how deep you want the flutes.

Looking at a bartlein barrel and I'm wondering what the smallest contour I can go with a still flute? May be question for them. Anybody have experience fluting small contour barrels? Pics?

Most barrel makers will have there minimum based on the bore and contour. (The bigger the bore the bigger the contour they will require.

You can look on there site and based on the bore they will have a minimum contour

You cant just say a #5 because barrel makers have different numbers for the same contours as other barrel makers. So you have to decide what barrel maker you want and go from there.

There is an unwritten rule of thumb though. Minimum barrel wall thickness at the muzzle for threading or fluting needs to be .200 thousandths. and depth of threads or fluting should not exceed

Using this "Rule" A .30 cal barrel would have to be around .700 at the muzzle to be safely threaded or fluted. .650 would be my minimum muzzle diameter for fluting or threading a brake on a thirty caliber.

J E CUSTOM

I own a couple of Bartlein barrels for deer rifles in 6.5-284. I asked them to flute the blanks and they came up with the poorest excuse for fluting you ever saw.

Many barrel makers lack experience with hunting rifles and the idea of a light barrel bothers them. Rock Creek has done the best job fluting a hunting barrel, I also have two by them, a 6.5 WSM and 6.5-06 Ackley. They will flute their #3 which is a pound lighter than Bartleins and of course, has a smaller contour. The Rock Creek barrels are the lightest I own. The rifle weighs 7.5 lbs with a 2.5-10 Sightron in Conetrol rings. With a 26 inch barrel it is as light as I want to wave around at game animals. I backpack and Xcountry ski with the rifle for deer.

I have several Krieger barrels but they start at #5 for fluting. I like their 10 groove for varmint weight barrels but not much for weight reduction.

Recently I had a McGowen barrel blank fluted at the factory. I was disappointed. Shallow flutes and short length.

Shilen does not flute barrels.

Attachments

• P1010738.jpg
    P1010738.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 343
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.