Wheeler barrel vise, can you squeeze the barrel too much?

Black Squirrel

I just finished tightening down my barrel, and it took WAY more force to clamp barrel than I was expecting. Is it possible to damage a barrel with the oak blocks?

I just finished tightening down my barrel, and it took WAY more force to clamp barrel than I was expecting. Is it possible to damage a barrel with the oak blocks?

it depends on the thickness of the barrel but under normal circumstances no.
I use my own barrel vice that I made about 20 years ago and have never damages a barrel and I use steel blocks or rings not oak

It would be very hard to damage the barrel. Most people that use the wood blocks also use pine rosin to help the grip.

I like the aluminum barrel blocks in mine. (Good grip, and does not damage the barrel).

The action wrench is another thing all together. They can be tightened to much and make it difficult
to remove the action.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts