Can a barrel be fluted that is already chambered and mounted to receiver?

Probably not the answer that you want but you could also lop a couple of inches off it while having it fluted and make it a little lighter and easier to handle, minus the increased recoil though.

Half a pound.

Maybe.

All this is conjecture and needs to be based on the existing contour of your barrel, the width of the cutter and the depth of the cutter. You can't just plow a deep, wide flute on a typical sporter barrel and expect it to be safe.

When I was doing a ton of fluting, a standard #6 Bartlein at 26" would lose between 4 and 6 ounces per barrel. This can be exaggerated by many who believe that they can achieve lighter weight barrels by cutting deeper and wider flutes.

Another solution is really profiling but the flat twisted flutes might remove more weight.

1398707_979934415434650_5592005121353570006_o_large.jpg

Enjoy the search!

:)

Maybe.

All this is conjecture and needs to be based on the existing contour of your barrel, the width of the cutter and the depth of the cutter. You can't just plow a deep, wide flute on a typical sporter barrel and expect it to be safe.

When I was doing a ton of fluting, a standard #6 Bartlein at 26" would lose between 4 and 6 ounces per barrel. This can be exaggerated by many who believe that they can achieve lighter weight barrels by cutting deeper and wider flutes.

Another solution is really profiling but the flat twisted flutes might remove more weight.

1398707_979934415434650_5592005121353570006_o_large.jpg

Enjoy the search!

:)
This.
Must be the Long Range Hunter, which already has a pretty light contour barrel for a .338.

You can use LRI's calculator to determine weight savings:

Keep in mind, in addition to the cost of fluting you'll need to have the barrel re-blued or Cerakoted. Normally I'd say you'd be better off getting a new CF pre-fit rather than dumping several hundred $$ into a factory Savage barrel, but I'm not aware of anyone that offers prefits in .338 LM.