What is the hardest big game tag that you were able draw?

My guess is that nearly every Game and Fish management for every state is overwhelmed as indicated by the information related in these threads. I have stopped even attempting to draw tags in Arizona since the probability is non-existent. Why should I hand over the kind of money they require only to get no tags at all. They make the money they hold from me and I get nothing in return. And I'm not putting in for those 'once-in-a-lifetime' tags either, I'm simply applying for general elk and mule deer tags. I don't hunt racks, I hunt for meat.

In order to hunt at all, I've found other situations where I can hunt and not have to spend $5,000-10,000 for a special tag from the White Mountain Apache Tribe. None are in Arizona but exist in surrounding states and a few that require some longer travels. I can satisfy both my desire for hunting as well as keeping my freezer full for the next year.

I hope for nothing but the Best Wishes for all of you and your potential for drawing the tags you want!

:)

My guess is that nearly every Game and Fish management for every state is overwhelmed as indicated by the information related in these threads. I have stopped even attempting to draw tags in Arizona since the probability is non-existent. Why should I hand over the kind of money they require only to get no tags at all. They make the money they hold from me and I get nothing in return. And I'm not putting in for those 'once-in-a-lifetime' tags either, I'm simply applying for general elk and mule deer tags. I don't hunt racks, I hunt for meat.

In order to hunt at all, I've found other situations where I can hunt and not have to spend $5,000-10,000 for a special tag from the White Mountain Apache Tribe. None are in Arizona but exist in surrounding states and a few that require some longer travels. I can satisfy both my desire for hunting as well as keeping my freezer full for the next year.

I hope for nothing but the Best Wishes for all of you and your potential for drawing the tags you want!

You are correct about alot things, but it is certainly not that way everywhere. The bighorn sheep tag I just drew in my home state after 14 years cost $280. Each year I applied, cost me $10 for application fee. They do not hang on to my money and refund after the drawing, but I know some states do. Also, I am not a trophy hunter either. I still do alot of other hunting locally and have since I could walk. Alot of these draws are hard but can be a bonus for us poor guys. Somebody is gonna draw that tag!

You are correct about alot things, but it is certainly not that way everywhere. The bighorn sheep tag I just drew in my home state after 14 years cost $280. Each year I applied, cost me $10 for application fee. They do not hang on to my money and refund after the drawing, but I know some states do. Also, I am not a trophy hunter either. I still do alot of other hunting locally and have since I could walk. Alot of these draws are hard but can be a bonus for us poor guys. Somebody is gonna draw that tag!

I was writing in generalities not specifics. As with all statements of fact, there are exceptions as you have pointed out. There are also exceptions as to how any particular agency handles their money transactions, as you also point out by exception. So I'm glad you have these opportunities and at a reasonable cost but exceptions are exceptions not a fact of life with regard to every state.

I've managed to find other opportunities that don't handicap me like Arizona does.

Enjoy your hunting!

Arizona only requires you have a AZ hunting license in order to apply and a $13 application fee.

I apply for a lot of tags all over and figure I'll draw one once in awhile. I hunt all kinds of critters. Big game, small game, waterfowl, coyotes etc.

I used to get frustrated with draws but now I just do other small game hunts when I don't draw. I hunt what's available and find this makes my fall much more enjoyable. I always have an archery tag in my home state for deer and I use that tag to pursue the biggest deer I can find. This makes it a challenge and extends my time in the field.

I wish we could figure out as a society how to get more animals on the landscape as hunting seems to be more popular than ever.

So far, AZ resident pronghorn.

Took me 27 years and 29 Bonus Points to draw last year. And I got the very last tag in the unit. Didn't even make the bonus pass.

I did make good on the hunt. 26 days scouting put my #1 buck down on the morning of day 2 on a totally solo hunt. I did see another bigger buck early in my scouting trips, but I didn't see him again in the following 4 months leading up to the hunt after extensive scouting trips.
20230909_073414.jpg

So far, AZ resident pronghorn.

Took me 27 years and 29 Bonus Points to draw last year. And I got the very last tag in the unit. Didn't even make the bonus pass.

I did make good on the hunt. 26 days scouting put my #1 buck down on the morning of day 2 on a totally solo hunt. I did see another bigger buck early in my scouting trips, but I didn't see him again in the following 4 months leading up to the hunt after extensive scouting trips.
View attachment 574114
Dude,
That looks like it was within walking distance of where I killed mine in unit 10.

Try drawing a tule elk bull tag in CA. I've been applying since the 1970's without success.
I have max points for elk in Ca.. Now non resident it's $2200.00 plus ? What a rip. Drew bighorn in Ca. 2002 the first year they went to points. Filled tag 1/2003. Drew Ca. Lope 2012. Killed nice buck. Drawn X12 3 times. Last time 2021. Have to buy license and tag to apply then get partial refund. Last year $547.00. I thought bad as resident. Typical extortion from G&F departments.
Have drawn great tags in Az.
12B late deer. Elk many times.Antrlope 13A. Utah. Book Cliffs deer, Elk Book Cliffs roadless, Sportsman convention. Nevada few times. Last 231 deer. Good limited deer tags in Wy.. too many points in 6 states I'll never draw while alive.

I recently drew a big horn sheep tag in my home state of South Dakota. As you can imagine, I feel like the luckiest guy on the planet. I was just wondering what other difficult tags members on the forum have drawn? It took me 14 years to pull this tag. What say you?
In 2004 I drew a moose tag in Montana (area 20 miles from my home)
Shot a 43" after 5 weeks of beating the brush!
Have been applying for a sheep tag for over 50 years(have max points) still no luck!