What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Call Alex also at Euro Optics for a quote. My first S&B 5-25 had a reticle put in by Premier and it would not go back to zero. He exchanged it for a new one within a week. Also gives great advice and support.

What I do know from my practical experience is you can keep increasing the resolution of a lense system to some pretty incredible limits but at the sacrifice of depth of field and thats your trade off.
There is no direct relationship between depth of field and resolution in riflescopes.

Depth of field is affected by numerous factors, most obviously if they are of fixed parallax design, adjustable objective or sidefocus in order of decreasing depth of field in general. Really good examples of each will have great resolution, poor examples will have poor resolution.

One of the sharpest scopes I've ever had (probably still the sharpest resolution-wise for the money) was an IOR 2.5-10. It was in sharp focus from just beyond the muzzle to infinity. Great glass, coatings and optical design. Huge depth of field.

One of the poorest resolution "nice" scopes I've had, a 4.5-14X Leupold, had a very shallow depth of field. That had nothing to do with its resolution, but was a result of being a side focus scope--they pretty much all have shallower depth of field; those with "good glass" and those with "mediocre glass" alike.

In short, there are trade offs for scopes with better resolution. Mostly it's $$$$. Depth of field has nothing to do with it.

There is no direct relationship between depth of field and resolution in riflescopes.

Depth of field is affected by numerous factors, most obviously if they are of fixed parallax design, adjustable objective or sidefocus in order of decreasing depth of field in general. Really good examples of each will have great resolution, poor examples will have poor resolution.

One of the sharpest scopes I've ever had (probably still the sharpest resolution-wise for the money) was an IOR 2.5-10. It was in sharp focus from just beyond the muzzle to infinity. Great glass, coatings and optical design. Huge depth of field.

One of the poorest resolution "nice" scopes I've had, a 4.5-14X Leupold, had a very shallow depth of field. That had nothing to do with its resolution, but was a result of being a side focus scope--they pretty much all have shallower depth of field; those with "good glass" and those with "mediocre glass" alike.

In short, there are trade offs for scopes with better resolution. Mostly it's $$$$. Depth of field has nothing to do with it.

You may be right. I emailed an associate who is an expert in optical systems and lense construction about my questions on resolution and depth of field. Unfortunately he never returned my email, to bad because I'm curious to what he would have said. Not that it matters, it is what you see through the scope that counts. I once looked through a scope (a Leitz) made in the 1950's and it looked like a piece of crap but I about fell out of my chair because of how good it was. I made an offer but the owner wouldn't sell it come hell or high water.

I have always let my own eyes be the judge of a scopes quality and balance it against features and cost and what I'm using it for (microscopes or rifle scopes). Its so hard to buy a scope off the internet and know exactly what you are gonna get, its a crap shoot. So when someone asks "whats the best scope on the market" then buys one without looking through it and comparing it to others, he is rolling the dice. Of course if you respect opinions of the people on this forum I think the dice are loaded in his favor. I can't imagine the starter of this thread being anything but really happy with his Schmidt Bender purchase.

Cheers,

Klee

"the best sound of hunting season is the freezer door closing" - Tomato man at Wyomatoes

Of course if you respect opinions of the people on this forum I think the dice are loaded in his favor. I can't imagine the starter of this thread being anything but really happy with his Schmidt Bender purchase.

Cheers,

Klee

"the best sound of hunting season is the freezer door closing" - Tomato man at Wyomatoes

Klee,
You are exactly correct about that.I did take the opinions of many different people from this forum to base my decision upon what scope to purchase.Boy did they stear me right I couldn't be happier with my S&B 5-25x56 pmII.For many a leupold was the perfect scope while others were in favor of night force,yet others in favor of the high end european glass.Now I own many leupold scopes and for normal field conditions there awesome for the price.For rough country tumbles and falls you definitely can't go wrong with a nsx.I also own a couple of them.My question was to this forum was for 3 or 4k$
WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!! And the people of this forum answered that question for me, S&B.I have looked through a premier,really liked it,probably will be one sitting on my new shootstick by summers end and will give a comparison @ that time.Untill then MANY THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED IN HELPING ME WITH MY DECISION!
Wayne.

Klee,
You are exactly correct about that.I did take the opinions of many different people from this forum to base my decision upon what scope to purchase.Boy did they stear me right I couldn't be happier with my S&B 5-25x56 pmII.For many a leupold was the perfect scope while others were in favor of night force,yet others in favor of the high end european glass.Now I own many leupold scopes and for normal field conditions there awesome for the price.For rough country tumbles and falls you definitely can't go wrong with a nsx.I also own a couple of them.My question was to this forum was for 3 or 4k$
WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!! And the people of this forum answered that question for me, S&B.I have looked through a premier,really liked it,probably will be one sitting on my new shootstick by summers end and will give a comparison @ that time.Untill then MANY THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED IN HELPING ME WITH MY DECISION!
Wayne.

I am sure that the Premier is an awesome scope and will be looking forward to your evaluation

Klee,
Wayne.

This was a really good thread, I hope other people still check it out after it ages. There are a lot of great scopes out there, even ones below the $1k (like my brick sh.. house built 6x burris). My buddy has his Nightforce 5.5x22 on order (12 week wait!), I have my Premier 3.5x15 (waiting for the picatinny base to be milled a scootch). There several different brands of scopes on the rifles of our rag tag group of long range shooters. It's a rock I just recently turned over and found a whole different breed lead chucking cats. It's gonna be a lot of fun shooting for bragging rights and a whole lot of ribbing going on at the range and during hunting season. But without the scope you don't get to play!!

Happy shooting

Klee

I have just purchased a s & b 5 x 25 pll scope and the optics are incredible. It is going on one of my favorite weapon systems of all time a bolt action heavy barrel in .308. I am in a bit of a dilemma however as I'm not sure how to sight the beast in. The double turn turrets are getting the best of me. It seems as if a 20 min base is a necessity not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have just purchased a s & b 5 x 25 pll scope and the optics are incredible. It is going on one of my favorite weapon systems of all time a bolt action heavy barrel in .308. I am in a bit of a dilemma however as I'm not sure how to sight the beast in. The double turn turrets are getting the best of me. It seems as if a 20 min base is a necessity not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it depends on your set up, to get your full amount of adjustment you have to have a base with some cant built into it, however, with 118 moa of adjustment in that scope, you don't have to have it, and can shoot a pretty long way. give me a shout if i can help you, as i've zeroed a ton of these things, in both mtc and standard turret configuration

Bozo,

Weren't you there at deep creek the day we compared the s&b 12-50 to my 12-42 nf? If you weren't you should have been, it was a real embarrassment for "the best".

Tom

Tom,
No I wasn't but you and Leo told me about it when I mentioned I was going to buy the big S&B scope. I am very happy I listened to you as I now have two of the 12-42 NF on my BR rifles, my 5.5-25 S&B is as nice of scope as I have ever owned and for a hunting scope I really like it, but for my BR guns I will stick with the Night Force scopes for sure! S&B should be ashamed of there big BR scope it is no where near the quality of the nf for almost twice the price. Thanks Tom.
Wayne.

Daryl,
There is plenty of adjustment in your scope with or without a 20 moa rail. I have a 20 moa rail under my S&B but you don't need it unless your going really long. To get the adjustment out of it and your probably having trouble getting it low enough turn it all the way cc then loosen the set screws turn it cw som, then lock it down and continue cc keep repeating if necessary to get it on target, hope this helps.
Wayne.

A previous Post mentioned comparing Scope Resolution with actual Figures . If Resolution is as important to you as it is for me , you can Test it out for yourself . You can Google Resolution Test Targets and download them if you have a decent Printer . I got so tired of friends telling me about Scope Sharpness that did not match up to what I thought , that I decided to do my own Tests . Since BEST is defined for each individual need , it is often hard to compare . Also since there are no Standards on how to set up the Resolution Targets , it is very difficult for two people to compare results unless they pre-define exactly how they are going to Test . All my Tests are done in bright Sunlight because I am only interested in informal Target Shooting on Bright , Windless days or in Prairie Dog shooting ( those days are bright , but rarely Windless ! ) . I set up my Resolution Targets at 100 Yards , and so far only Test at 15X or 16X as that's where all my Fixed and Variable Varmint Scopes overlap in Power . Next Spring , I'm going to do some comparisons at Higher Powers . I set the Scopes on Sandbags or on Cardboard Boxes cut with "V" Notches so I can mount several Scopes side by side and Scan from one to another in a few seconds . You look at the Targets and pick the finest Lines and associated Spaces which you can see / Resolve . My problem is that I have to get my hands on what I want to Test and I don't think I will ever get a USO , S&B , Hensholdt , etc. to look at . Anyway , I always bring along my best to compare with . The downloadable Targets are good to use and I have even bought a few , but they are nowhere as good as the USAF Type Photolithographic Targets ( usually Chromium ) I used in work to Test Optics which cost far more than my home . For those with deep pockets , you can buy really nice Custom resolution targets . Anyway , you can Download some , tape them to a Box and might be surprised at what you see for yourself .

Last edited:
Wayne it sounds as if your s & b experience is just what I need... Don't know where your at...but I'd sure like to pick your brain for awhile. I'm in Boerne so if you ever get close let me know I'd love to buy you lunch

Daryl,
I live in S.E Washington state, I believe you live in Texas so lunch is probably is out at least right now but I could call you or you could call me, my email is
[email protected] shoot me a email with phone number and a good time and I can call you,...I am pacific time.
Wayne.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts